The Sri Vishnu Sahasranam
The Thousand Names of Vishnu
Nama 1: vishvam / a) Universe or Cause of Universe b) One who is full in all respects. Om visvaya namah.
2. Vishnu: - a) One who permeates everything, is inside every sentient and non-sentient being. b) One who surrounds everything. Om vishnave namah.
3: vashatkara / One who
controls and directs (not merely pervades).
4: bhuta-bhavya-bhavat-prabhu: The Master of all things past, future, and present. Nirukti - trikAla vartinAm seshi - The Lord of all things that exist in the past, present, and future.
5: bhuta-krit / The creator of all beings.
6 : bhuta-bhrt / The supporter of all things. Bhutani bibharti iti bhuta-bhrt - One who supports all. (seems to be further elaborated by namas 8 and 9)
7: bhavah / He who exists
with all the splendor. He who exists always, independent of anything else.
8: bhutatma / The AtmA or soul of all beings - sarvesham bhutanam atma
9: bhuta-bhavanah / One who nourishes and nurtures all beings that He created.
10: Putatma / The Pure Self - One who is untainted by the effects of karma - good or bad. Puta Atma yasya sa putatma - One who has the pure Atma is pUtAtmA.
11: paramatma / The Supreme Soul - for whom there is no other guiding or superior soul
12: muktanam parama gatih / One who is the ultimate goal for all muktas or Released or Liberated Souls.
13: avyayah / a) One who does not send back anyone who has reached Him (to the cycle of birth and rebirth .(Sri Bhattar) b) Indestructible (Sri Sankara)
14: purushah / a) One who bestows on the Muktas the enjoyment of the Bliss of Himself in plenty.- puru sanoti iti purushah. b) One who is reclining in this body - puri sete iti purushah. c) One who existed before anything else existed - purA AsIt iti purushah. d) One who completes and fulfills existence everywhere - pUrayati iti purushah
15: sakshi / One who directly witnesses everything .as it is. , The All-Knower, The Omniscient
16:kshetrajnah / One who knows, and can lead, the muktas to the exact place where the muktas will get their sought-after Supreme Bliss.
17: akshara / One whose greatness never diminishes over time in spite of being enjoyed by the miktas constantly. na ksharati iti aksharah .
18. yogah / One Who alone is the definite and unobstructed means to salvation. The word yoga is derived from the word yujyate which means "with whose help the goal is attained".
19. yogavitam neta / One who leads those who practice yoga until they reach their Goal.
20. pradhana purusha Isvarah / One who is the Lord of Primordial Matter as well as the Jivas.
21. narasimha vapuh / One who possesses a body of man and lion combined.
22. sriman / One with a lovely form.
23. kesavah / One with lovely locks of hair.
24. purushottamah / The Supreme amongst the purushas (i.e., individualsouls).
25. sarvah / (sa as in sanatana) One who is all - the cause of creation and destruction of all things.
26. sharvah / (sa as in Shiva) The Remover of all sins.
27. shivah / One who confers auspiciousness. subha avahasca sivah - One who bestows auspiciousness on all.
28. sthanuh / One who is .firm in His benefits and anugraha to the devotees.
29. bhutadih / a) One who is eagerly sought after by all beings. b) The source or cause of all beings. c) The very source of the panca bhutas.
30. nidhiravyayah / The inexhaustible treasure.
31. sambhavah / (Though like a Hidden Treasure), One who manifests Himself at will to those who sincerely seek Him. He manifests Himself at any place and at any time and in any form (e.g., nrsimha, matsya, kurma, etc.).
32. bhavanah / (Having manifested thus), One who regenerates all by dispelling all their evils.
33. bharta / Supporter.
34. prabhavah / One whose birth is of a sublime nature.
35. prabhuh / He who is all powerful.
36. Isvarah / a) One who has the supreme power of control over all beings. b) One who has the ability to do anything without the help of any other beings or things
37. svayambhuh / He who manifests Himself by His own free will.
38. shambhuh / One who causes happiness to everyone by the beauty of His appearance.
39. Adityah / a) The purusha in the Sun. b) One of the twelve Adityas. c) One who sustains and nourishes everything like the Sun.
40. pushkarakshah / The Lotus-eyed.
41. maha-svanah / He of the venerable sound (of the Vedas).
42. anadi-nidhanah / One who is without beginning or end.
43. dhata / The creator (of .Brahma and others).
44. vidhata / The producer (of Brahma from the fetus referred to above).
45. dhaturuttamah / a) One who is far superior to Brahma (dhatr). b) The best of all basic constituents
46. aprameyah / One who cannot be defined, explained, measured, etc. through logical means, (but who can only be experienced)
hrshikesah / a) The
controller of the sense-organs of all including Brahma, Rudra, etc.
b) One who, in the form of the Sun and the Moon, makes this world happy through His rays
padma-nabhah / One from whose navel the lotus (the cause of the
49. amara-prabhuh / The Lord of the immortal gods.
50. visva karma / a) One who is the agent of all actions with regard to the Universe. b) The Creator of the Universe.
51. manuh / The Great Thinker: Mananat manuh -
52. tvashta / One who created all the different forms and names in this Universe.
53. sthavishthah / One who is exceedingly huge in size.
54. sthavirah / One who has always existed, Older than the oldest.
55. dhruvah / One who is unaffected by Time, Unchanging, Permanent.
56. agrahyah / One who is beyond the grasp of others.
57. shashvatah / One who is eternal.
58. krshnah / a) One who is always in a state of Bliss (with His sport of creation etc.). b) One who has a dark-blue complexion.
59. lohitakshah / One with eyes red like the beautiful lotus flower.
60. pradrdanah / The Destroyer.
61. prabhutah / One who is affluent, ever full, and well-endowed with wisdom, greatness, and other qualities.
62. tri-kakud-dhama / There are three words in this name - tri, kakub or kakut, and dhAma.
63. pavitram / Purity Incarnate.
64. mangalam param / The Embodiment of Supreme Auspiciousness.
65. isanah / The controller.
66. prana_dah / The life-giver.
67. pranah / Life.
68. jyeshthah / Older than the oldest.
69. sreshthah / Most praise-worthy.
70. prajapatih / Lord of the Ever-free Angels.
71. hiranyagarbah / He who is in a lovely Abode.
72. bhugarbhah / One for whom the Earth is the object of protection.
73. madhavah / a) The consort
of MA or Lakshmi. b) One who is attained through the Madhu vidya, or through
mauna, dhyana, and yoga. c) The Lord of knowledge or the propounder of the
knowledge of the Supreme Being. d) One who is born in the race of Madhu, a
yadhava. e) One for whom there is no Lord (i.e., One who is the Lord of
f) A silent observer, a maunee,
74) madhusudhanah / The slayer of the evil demon called Madhu.
75. isvarah / The Ruler.
76. vikramI / a) The most courageous, The most powerful. b) One who has the "Special" footsteps viz. Vamana.
77. dhanvi / The wielder of the bow.
78. medhavi / One who is capable of powerful memory.
79. vikramah / a) One with great strides (see nAma 76), such as in the vAmana incarnation. b) One who rides on the king of birds, the Garuda.
80. kramah / a) One who is the basis for the order in the Universe. b) One who controls and bestows the power of movement. c) One who is highly prosperous.
81. anuttamah / One for whom there is nothing superior or better.
82. duradharshah / One who cannot be overcome by the demons and others.
83. krtajnah / One who is grateful.
84. krtih / One who is the cause of the virtuous act of His devotees.
85. atmavan / The real Owner and Controller of the souls of those who do these virtuous acts.
86. suresah / a) The Lord of all the other gods. b) The best among those who can bestow their devotees' desires.
87. saranam / The Refuge.
88. sarma / One who is Bliss, the Highest Goal to be attained.
89. visvaretAh / The seed for the Universe.
90. prajabhavah / One from whom all beings have originated.
91. ahah / a) One who never forsakes anyone. b) One who is like the Day that awakens people from ignorance. c) One who does not destroy His devotees.
92. samvatsarah / He who lives for the uplift of His devotees.
93. vyalah / a) One who accepts the devotees - e.g., vibhishana. b) One who is beyond grasp such as a vyAla - a serpent, an elephant, a tiger, etc.
94. pratyayah / One who can be relied upon.
95. sarvadarsanah / a) One who shows all His grace to His devotees. b) The All-seeing.
96. ajah / a) Unborn. b) The Remover of all obstacles. c) One who moves in the hearts of the devotees. d) One who removes the ignorance from the hearts of His devotees. e) One who is the root of all sound (akshara "a").
97. sarvesvarah / a) One who reaches all who seek Him. b) One who is the isvara for all isvaras.
98. siddhah / One who is available at the hands of His devotees. 99. siddhih / The Goal.
100. sarvadih / The Origin or Cause of all things.
101. acyutah / a) One who has never slipped from His glory. b) One who never lets His devotees slip. c) One who undergoes no modifications such as birth, growth, decay, disease, etc.
102. vrishakapih / One who lifted the Earth from the waters of adharma in the form of varaha. 103. ameyatma / One whose Nature cannot be comprehended.
104. sarva yoga vinissritah / a) One who is beyond any attachment. b) One who is easily attained by all means by His devotees
105. vasuh / a) One who dwells in the hearts of His devotees. b) One who dwells in the Milk-Ocean. c) One who is the wealth that His devotees seek. d) The best among the eight vasus - pavaka. e) One who lives in the sky.
106. vasumanah / Om vasumanase namah / a) One who has a 'wealthy' or rich mind. b) One who has a mind which thinks of His devotees as a treasure.
107. satyah / Om satyaya namah / a) The Truth. b) One whose form is made up of prana, matter and sun. c) One who is well-disposed towards the good.
108. samatma / Om samatmane namah - One who has an even mind.
109. sammitah / Om sammitaya namah / a) One who has let Himself be understood (controlled) by His devotees. b) The One Truth who is accepted by the Rsihis and revealed in the Upanishads.
110. samah / Om samaya namah / One who treats all His devotees equally.
111. amoghah / Om amoghaya namah / One who always gives fruits to those who worship Him.
112. pundarikakshah / Om pundarIkakshaya namah / a) One whose eyes are beautiful like the lotus flower. b) One who resides in the heart space of everyone and observes all. c) One who is like the eye to the residents of SrivaikunTham.
113. vrishakarma / Om vrshakarmane namah / One who is of righteous actions.
114. vrishakriti / Om vrshakrtaye namah / One who is an embodiment of dharma.
115. rudrah / a) One who brings tears to the eyes. b) One who confers the good on the devotees. c) One who destroys misery. Om rudraya namah.
116. bahu-sirAh / One who is multi-headed. Om bahu-sirase namah.
117. babhruh / The Supporter. Om babhrave namah.
118. visva-yonih / a) The cause of this world. b) One who unites His devotees with Himself. Om visva-yonaye namah.
119. suci-sravah / a) One who listens to words which are pure. b) One whose names are worthy of being heard. c) One who has beautiful and divine ears. Om Suci-Sravase namah.
120. amritah / a) The unsatiating nectar to His devotees. b) One who is Immortal. Om amritaya namah.
121. sasvata-sthanuh / One who is Eternally Firm. Om Sasvata-sthanave namah.
122. vararohah / a) One who is the most supreme object of attainment. b) One of Excellent Ascent. Om vararohaya namah.
123. maha-tapah / One who is endowed with great knowledge. Om maha-tapase namah.
124. sarva-gah / One who reaches all. Om sarvagaya namah.
125. sarva-vit / One who is the All-knower. Om sarva-vide namah.
126. bhanuh / One who shines. Om bhanave namah.
127. vishvak-senah / One who has His army in all directions for the protection of all. Om vishvaksenaya namah.
128. janardanah / a) One who destroys the wicked. b) One who protects people from the wicked. c) One who is approached by devotees for their wishes. Om janardanaya namah.
129. vedah / One who is the embodiment of scriptures. Om vedaya namah.
130. vedavit / The true knower of the meaning of the vedas. Om veda-vide namah.
131. avya~ngah / One who has no imperfections. Om avya~ngaya namah.
132. veda~ngah / a) One who has Vedas as His body. b) One who has the srutis and smritis as His body. Om vedangaya namah.
133. vedavit / One who knows not only the Vedas, but the true meaning behind the Vedas, viz. the dharma. Om vedavide namah.
134. kavih / One who cognizes beyond ordinary perception.
135. lokadhyakshah - Lord of the worlds, Master or superintendent of all people who should practice dharma. Om lokadhyakshaya namah.
138. kritakritah / a) The grantor of fruits that are this this-worldly as well as those that are eternal. b) One who is both the cause and effect of all things. c) One who has a form which is nitya or permanent, as well as transient forms.
139. caturatmA / One whose Self has a four-fold manifestation. Om caturatmane namah.
140 - catur-vyuhah / One with four forms (the vyuha forms). Om catur-vyuhaya namah.
141 - catur-damshtrah / He of four teeth. Om catur-damshtraya namah.
142 - catur-bhujah / One with four arms. Om catur-bhujaya namah.
143. bhrajishnuh / One who is effulgent. Om brajishnave namah.
144. bhojanam / One who is the object of enjoyment. Om bhojanaya namah.
145. bhokta / The Enjoyer. Om bhoktre namah.
146. sahishnuh / The Forgiver. Om sahishnave namah.
147. jagadadijah / He who was born at the beginning of the Universe. Om jagadadijaya namah.
148. anaghah / One who is Sinless, uncontaminated. Om anaghaya namah.
149. vijayah / Victory Incarnate. Om vijayaya namah.
150. jeta / The conqueror. Om jetre namah.
151. visva-yonih / The Cause of the Universe. Om visva-yonaye namah.
152. punarvasuh / One who lives again and again as the antaratma of all His creations.
153. upendrah / a) One who appeared as the younger brother of Indra to help him. b) One who is superior to Indra. Om upendraya namah.
154. vamanah / One with the Dwarf form. Om vamanaya namah.
155. pramsuh / The Tall. Om pramsave namah.
156. amoghah / One whose acts are never purposeless. Om amoghaya namah.
157. sucih / Pure. Om sucaye namah.
158. urjitah / One who is endowed with immense strength. Om Urjitaya namah.
159. atIndrah / One who is superior to Indra. Om atindraya namah.
160. samgrahah / a) He who is easily reached. b) He who has everyone under His control. Om samgrahaya namah.
161. sargah / The creator of Himself. Om sargaya namah.
162. dhritatma / The supporter of all the jivatmas. Om dhritatmane namah.
163. niyamah / The Controller. Om niyamaya namah.
164. yamah / The Ruler. Om yamaya namah.
165. vedyah / a) He who can be realized. b) That which should be known or realized. Om vedyaya namah.
166. vaidyah / The knower of vidya or knowledge. Om vaidyaya namah.
167. sada-yogi / a) One who is always awake with respect to His devotees. b) One who unites this Universe as the sarva-vyapic) One who always follows the dharmic way. d) One who is in constant yogic meditation e) One who always displays the samatva-bhava, i.e., treats everyone equally. Om sada-yogine namah.
168. vira-ha / The slayer of strong men of wicked nature. Om viraghne namah.
169. madhavah / The propounder of the knowledge of the Supreme Being. Om madhavaya namah.
170. madhuh / One who is like honey to His devotees. Om madhave namah.
171. atindriyah / He who is beyond the range of the sense organs. Om atIndriyaya namah.
172. maha-mayah / One who is possessed of wonderful power of enchantment. Om maha-mayaya namah.
173. mahotsahah / He of great enthusiasm. Om mahotsahaya namah.
174. maha-balah / One with immeasurable strength - The Omnipotent. Om mahabalaya namah.
175. maha-buddhih / He of infinite knowledge. Om maha-buddhaye namah.
176. maha-vIryah / He of great virility. Om maha-viryaya namah.
177. maha-Saktih / Of immense power. Om maha-saktaye namah.
178. maha-dyutih / He of great splendor. Om maha-dyutaye namah.
179. anirdesya-vapuh / He who possesses an indescribable body. Om anirdesya-vapushe namah.
180. srIman / Possessed of beauty. Om Srimate namah.
181. ameyatma / He of an incomprehensible nature. Om ameyatmane namah.
182. mahadri-dhrit / The bearer of the great mountain. Om mahadri-dhrite namah.
183. maheshvasah / a) The discharger of great arrows, b) The wielder of the mighty bow. Om maheshvasaya namah.
184. mahi-bharta / The bearer of the earth. Om mahi-bhartre namah.
185. Srinivasah / In whom Lakshmi resides. Om Srinivasaya namah.
186. satam-gatih / The Ultimate Goal for all spiritual seekers. Om satam-gataye namah.
187. aniruddhah / One who cannot be obstructed or resisted by anyone. Om aniruddhaya namah.
188. suranandah / One who gives delight to the gods. Om suranandaya namah.
189. govindah / a) One who is praised by the gods (for His help). b) One who dug out the Earth from the depths of the Ocean. c) The protector of cows. d) One who confers the Vedas. Om govindaya namah.
190. govidam patih / The protector of those who know the Vedas. Om govidam-pataye namah.
191. maricih / Ray of light. Om maricaye namah.
192. damanah / a) Dispeller (of the samsara bharam), b) One who controls and punishes those who swerve from their prescribed path. Om damanaya namah
193. hamsah / One who is like the swan. Om hamsaya namah.
194. suparnah / a) (literally) One possessed of charming feathers. b) One who can lead men to the other shore across the ocean of samsara. Om suparnaya namah.
195. bhujagottamah / The Master of the Serpent AdiSesha. Om bhujagottamaya namah.
196. hiranya-nabhah / One who has a beautiful navel with a golden hue, One who supports in His navel the creator, hiranyagarbha. Om hiranya-nabhaya namah.
197. sutapah / a) One who is possessed of supreme knowledge. b) One with consistent creative thinking. Om sutapase namah.
198. padma_nabhah / a) One who has the lotus emanating from his navel (carrying Brahma), b) One who resides in the center of everyone's heart. Om padma nabhaya namah.
199. prajapatih / The Lord of beings. Om prajapataye namah.
200. amrityuh / One who is beyond death or decay. Om amrityave namah.
201. sarvadrik / All-seeing. Om sarva-drse namah.
202. simhah / a) The Lion, b) Destroyer. Om simhaya namah.
203. sandhata / a) One who unites His devotees with Him b) One who unites the beings with the fruits of their actions. Om sandhatre namah.
204. sandhiman / One who is always united with His devotees. Om sandhimate namah.
205. sthirah / One who is firm in His relation to His devotees. Om sthiraya namah.
206. ajah / a) Unborn, b) Remover of obstacles, c) One who moves in the hearts of the devotees, d) One who removes the ignorance from the hearts of His devotees, e) One who is the root of all sound (akshara "a"). Om ajaya namah.
207. durmarshanah / The Unassailable. Om durmarshanaya namah.
208. sasta / The Teacher. Om sastre namah.
209. visrutatma / a) One whose exploits are praised with wonder, b) One who is called by special names (such as Truth, Knowledge, etc), c) One whose praise is sung in various forms, d) One whose Atma is of a special Nature.
210. surari-ha / The slayer of the enemies of the gods. Om surarighne namah.
211. gurur-guru-tamah / The foremost among the preceptors. Om gurutamaya gurave namah.
212 - dhama / a) The Place of Residence. b) The Supreme Light. c) The Abode of all desired things. Om dhamne namah.
213. satyah / The Good. Om satyaya namah.
214. satya-parakramah / One of unfailing valor. Om satyaparakramaya namah.
215. nimishah / One whose eyes are closed (towards the enemies of His devotees). Om nimishaya namah.
216. animishah / One with eyes closed. Om animishaya namah.
217. sragvi / Adorned with the garland (vaijayanti). Om sragvine namah.
218. vacaspatih / The Lord of Speech. Om vacaspataye namah.
219. udara-dhih / One with vast knowledge. Om udara-dhiye namah.
220. agranih / One who leads forward. Om agranye namah.
221. gramanih / Leader of the hosts of angels. Om gramanye namah.
222. sriman / a) One who is endowed with wealth. b) One who is full of all glories. c) One who is radiant. d) The Lord of Mahalakshmi e) One who has Mahalakshmi in his vaksha-sthala. f) One who is endowed with all the powers. Om Srimate namah.
223. nyayah / a) The Just. b) Logical arguments (tarka) and lines of contemplation (yukti) that help us in arriving at the absolute experience. Om nyayaya namah.
224. neta / a) One who fulfills the requests of His devotees. b) One who manages or regulates the affairs of the cosmos. Om netre namah.
225. samiranah / a) One who performs acts which are delectable. b) One who controls all movements (e.g., breath) in beings. Om samiranaya namah.
226. sahasra-murdha / The thousand-headed.
227. visvatma / The very soul of the Universe; the very inner Essence in all living creatures. Om visvatmane namah. visvasya atma visvatma.
228. sahasra-akshah / The thousand-eyed.
229. sahasra-pat / The thousand-footed. Om sahasra-murdhne namah; Om sahasrakshaya namah; Om sahasra-pade namah.
230. avartanah / He who turns the wheel of worldly life or samsara. Om Avartanaya namah.
231. nivrittatma / a) He whose nature rises above other things. b) He whose mind is turned away from worldly desires. c) He who is the atma of those who practice nivrtti dharma. d) He who is beyond the bonds of samsara. Om nivrittatmane namah.
232. samvritah / He who remains hidden. Om samvritaya namah.
233. sampra-mardanah / The dispeller (of the darkness). Om sampra-mardanaya namah.
234. ahah-samvartakah / The regulator of the day (time); The Sun. Om ahah-samvartakaya namah.
235. vahnih / The Bearer or The Carrier; The Fire. Om vahnaye namah.
236. anilah / a) The Giver of life-breath; The Air. b) One who needs no goading to Help His devotees. c) The Beginingless. d) One who has no binding, unaffected by virtue and vice. e) One who is beyond dissolution. f) One who is omniscient - All-Knowing. g) Easily accessible to His devotees. h) One who has no fixed residence. i) One who is not supported (by Earth etc). j) One who does not hide anywhere i.e., who is present everywhere. k) One who is always awake. Om anilaya namah.
237. dharani-dharah / The bearer of the Earth. Om dharanI-dharaya namah.
238. su-prasadah / The Giver of good favors. Om suprasadaya namah.
239. prasannatma / He with a clear mind; Of delightful nature. Om prasannatmane namah.
240. visva-srit / The Creator of the Universe. Om viava-srije namah.
241. visvabhug-vibhuh / He who pervades all things and protects them. Om visvabhug-vibhave namah.
242. satkarta / He who honors the good. Om satkartre namah.
243. satkritah / He who is worshipped by the sadhus (even by those who deserve to be worshipped). Om satkritaya namah.
244. sadhuh / One who carries out (whatever His devotees say). Om sadhave namah.
245. jahnuh / The Concealer (of His greatness from the non-devotees). Om jahnave namah.
246. narayanah / The Supporter of the hosts of souls. Om narayanaya namah.
247. narah / a) He who is imperishable. b) The Leader. Om naraya namah.
248. asankhyeyah / One whose attributes, names, forms, etc. are Innumerable. Om asankhyeyaya namah.
aprameyatma / One
who cannot be known through knowledge, direct or indirect. Om aprameyaya namah.
visishtah / He
who is Superior.
Om visishtaya namah.
Om visishtaya namah.
251. sishta-krt / He who makes His devotees eminent. Om aishta-krite namah.
252. Sucih / Pure. Om sucaye namah.
253. siddharthah / One who is in possession of all desirable things. Om siddharthaya namah.
254. siddha-sankalpah / One whose wishes are always fulfilled. Om siddha-sankalpaya namah.
255. siddhi-dah / The bestower of siddhi-s or super-human powers. Om siddhi-daya namah.
256. siddhi-sadhanah / One who makes the means for siddhi as pleasant as the fruit itself. Om siddhi-sadhanaya namah.
vrishahi vrishabho vishnur-vrishaparva vrishhodara
vardhano vardhamanashcha viviktah shruti-saagaraha ||(28)
257. vrishahi / a) One who shines in the form of dharma. b) One who makes His devotees shine like day because of their dharma. c) One who makes the day auspicious when the devotee approaches Him. d) One who reveals dharma. e) One who is the devata for the vrishaha sacrifice. f) One who has the brightness of agni etc., or is the cause of the brightness of all objects Om vrishahine namah.
258. vrishabhah / a) He who showers (His grace). b) He who shines because of His dharma. Om vrishabhaya namah.
259. vishnuh / One who pervades everything. Om vishnave namah.
260. vrisha-parva / He who has provided the steps of dharma to reach Him. Om vrisha-parvane namah.
261. vrishodarah / One who has dharma as His mid-region or belly. Om vrishodharaya namah.
262. vardhanah / He who nourishes. Om vardhanaya namah.
263. vardhamanah / He who grows. Om vardhamanaya namah.
264. viviktah / He who is unique. Om viviktaya namah.
265. sruti-sagarah / He who is the sea where all Vedas take us. Om sruti-sagaraya namah.
266. su-bhujah / One with majestic arms. Om su-bhujaya namah.
267. dur-dharah / a) The irresistible. b) One who is difficult to comprehend c) One who is difficult to hold in concentration d) One who cannot be supported by anyone or anything else Om durdharaua namah.
268. vagmi / a) He who has words which are praise-worthy. b) He who has powerful words. c) He from whom the veda-s originated. Om vagmine namah.
269. mahendrah / a) He of great wealth. b) The God of Indra and other gods. Om mahendraya namah.
270. vasu-dah / The Giver of wealth. Om vasudaya namah.
271. vasuh / He who is Himself the wealth sought by those who have realized the Truth. Om vasave namah.
272. naika-rupah / He of Infinite forms (as seen in visvarupa). Om naikarupaya namah.
273. brihad-rupah / He of an immense form. Om brihad-rupaya namah.
274. Sipi-vishtah / He who pervades the rays. Om sipi-vishtaya namah.
275. prakasanah / a) One who shows Himself to His devotees. b) One who illumines everything. Om prakasanaya namah.
ojas-tejo-dyutidharah prakasha-atmaa pratapanah |
riddhah spashya-taksharo mantrash-chandraanshur-bhaskara-dyutih ||(30)
276. ojas-tejo-dyuti-dharah / One who is endowed with strength, vigor and brilliance. om ojas-tejo-dyuti-dharaya namah.
277. prakasatma / He of a nature that is well-known to all. Om prakasatmane namah.
278. pratapanah / He who scorches (His enemies). Om pratapanaya namah.
279. Rddhah / He who is full in all respects. Om rddhaya namah.
280. spashya-taksharah / He of clear words (through the Vedas). Om spashtaksharaya namah.
281. mantrah / The mystic word (He who protects those who meditate on His name). Om mantraya namah.
282. candra-amsuh / He who is possessed of the effulgent rays like those of the moon. Om candramsave namah.
283. bhaskara-dyutih / He who has the effulgence of the sun. Om bhaskara-dyutaye namah.
amrta-amsu-udbhavo bhanuh shashabinduh sureshvarah |
aushadham jagatah setuh satya-dharma-parakramah ||(31)
284. amrta-amsu-udbhavah / The source of nectar-rayed moon. Om amrtamsudbhavaya namah.
285. bhanuh / The lustrous Sun or One who is Radiant. Om bhanave namah.
286. sasabinduh / a) He who disowns the evil-minded. b) The Moon c) One who controls the paths of the planets and the stars. Om sasabindave namah.
287. suresvarah / The Lord of the gods. Om suresvaraya namah.
288. aushadham / The Medicine. Om aushadhaya namah.
289. jagatah-setuh / a) The barrier for the world. b) The bridge for crossing the ocean of samsara. c) One who binds and keeps in-tact all that moves in this world. Om jagatah-setave namah.
290. satya-dharma-parakramah / One whose qualities and valor are always true. Om satya-dharma-parakramaya namah.
kamah kamapradah prabhuh || (32)
291. bhuta-bhavya-bhavan-nathah / The Lord of all in the past, present and future. Om bhuta-bhavya-bhavan-nathaya namah.
292. pavanah / He who moves about (Wind). Om pavanaya namah.
293. pavanah / He who purifies everything. Om pavanaya namah.
294. analah / One who is never satisfied (in His Mercy or daya). Om analaya namah.
295. kama-ha / The Destroyer of desires. Om kama-ghne namah.
296. kama-krt / One who creates desirable things, and also fulfils the desires. Om kama-krte namah.
297. kantah / He who is charming. om kantaya namah.
298. kamah /The Lovable (or manmatha). om kamaya namah.
299. kama-pradah / The Grantor of wishes. om kama-pradaya namah.
300. prabhuh / One who has the supreme power to attract the minds of all towards Himself; One who surpasses all in being. om prabhave namah.
yugaadi-krt yugaavarto naikamaayo mahashanah |
adrishyo vyaktarupashcha sahasrajid anandaji ||(33)
301. yugadi-krt / The Creator at the beginning of a yuga. om yugadi-krte namah.
302. yugavartah / He who revolves the yuga-s or aeons. om yugavartaya namah.
303. naika-mayah / He of multifarious wonders. om naika-mayaya namah.
304. mahasanah / He who is a voracious eater. om mahasanAya namah.
305. adrsyah / He Who cannot be seen. om adrsyaya namah.
306. vyakta-rupah / He of a manifest form. om vyakta-rupaya namah.
307. sahasra-jit / The Conqueror of thousands. om sahasra-jite namah.
308. ananta-jit / One whose victory is endless, limitless, countless. om ananta-jite namah.
309. ishTah / a) One who is liked by everyone.
b) One who is worshipped in ishti or sacrifice. om ishtaya namah.
310. aviSishTah / a) He who is impartial to everyone. b) He who cannot be distinguished. c) He who has no equal. om avisishtaya namah.
311. SishTeshTah / a) He who is dear even to eminent persons. b) He who dearly loves the eminent persons. om sishteshtaya namah.
312. SikhanDI / a) He who has the plume (or effulgence) of Lordship. b) He who wears a peacock feather. om sikhandine namah.
313. nahushah / One who binds (the jiva-s by His maya). om nahushaya namah.
314. vRshah / a) He who drenches (those who are scorched by the heat of samsara). b) He who showers His devotees with all that is asked for. c) He who is the embodiment of dharma. om vrshaya namah.
315. krodha-hA / a) He who gave up His anger. b) He who destroys the anger in sadhus. om krodha-ghne namah.
316. krodha-kRt / He who developed anger. om krodha-krte namah.
317. kartA / He who slays. om kartre namah.
318. viSva-bAhuh / He who has arms for the good of the world. om visva-bahave namah.
319. mahI-dharah / The Supporter of the world. om mahI-dharaya namah.
320. acyutah / He who does not fall from His status. om acutaya namah.
321. prathitah / One who is famous, One who is of great reputation. om prathitaya namah.
322. pranah / The Life-Breath. om pranaya namah.
323. prana-dah / The Life-Giver. om pranadaya namah.
324. vasavanujah / The younger brother of vasava or indra. om vasavanujaya namah.
325. apam-nidhih / The Sustainer of the waters of the ocean. om apam-nidhaye namah.
326. adhishthanam / The Support. om adhishthanaya namah.
327. apramattah / The Vigilant. om apramattaya namah.
328. pratishthitah / He who is self-dependent. om pratishthitsya namah.
329. skandha / He who dries up (destroys). om skandaya namah.
330. skanda-dharah / The Supporter of skanda. om skanda-dharaya namah.
331. dhuryah / The Supporter. om dhuryaya namah.
332. vara-dah / The Grantor of boons. om varadaya namah.
333. vayu-vahanah / He who has Vayu as His vehicle. om vayu-vahanaya namah.
334. vasu-devah / He who pervades and sports. om vasu-devaya namah.
335. brhad-bhanuh / He of profuse luster. om brhad-bhanave namah.
336. adi-devah / The First Deity. om adi-devaya namah.
337. purandarah / a) The Destroyer of the cities. b) The Destroyer of the sufferings from the adi-daivika causes. c) He who helps the devotee in transcending the attachment to sthula, sukshma and karana sarIras. d) He who brings an end to the bodies of all beings. Om purandaraya namah.
338. a-sokah / The dispeller of sorrows. om a-sokaya namah.
339. taranah / He who takes others to the other shore (a boat). om taranaya namah.
340. tarah / The Savior. om taraya namah.
341. surah / The Valiant. om suraya namah.
saurih / a) The son of valiant people like vasudeva, dasaratha, etc. b) The
grandson of Sura, the name of Vasudeva's father. c) The descendant of the group
of people called Suras in the Yadava
race. om sauraye namah.
343. janesvarah / The Lord of the people. om janesvaraya namah.
344. anukulah / One who is within bounds. om anukulaya namah.
345. satavartah / a) He who has several incarnations to sustain dharma, b) He whose wealth is bubbling but not overflowing (like vortices), c) He who maintains and manages several cycles - the cycle of samsara for all the beings, the cakras of grahas, nakshatra-s etc. om satavartaya namah.
346. padmi / He who carries the lotus in His hand. om padmine namah.
347. padma-nibhekshanah / One who has eyes which resemble the lotus. om padama-nibhkshanaya namah.
348. padma-nabhah / One with a lotus-like navel. om padmanabhAya namah.
349. aravindakshah / The Lotus-eyed. om aravindakshaya namah.
350. padma-garbhah / He who is installed in a lotus. om padma-garbhaya namah.
351. sarira-bhrt / The Protector of the bodies of everyone through food and life-energy. om sarira-bhrte namah.
352. maharddhih / He of immense riches. om maharddhaye namah.
353. rddhah / One who keeps growing; Prosperous. om rddhaya namah.
354. vrddhatma / One who is full-grown. om vrddhatmane namah.
355. mahakshah / a) He with a (vehicle of) powerful axle. b) One with Great Eyes. om mahakshaya namah.
356. garuda-dvajah / One who has Garuda in His banner. om garuda-dvajaya namah.
257. atulah / The Incomparable. om atulaya namah.
358. sarabhah / a) The Destroyer (of those who transgress the bounds of ethics). b) One who shines as the Inner Self. om sarabhaya namah.
359. bhimah / The Formidable. om bhimaya namah.
360. samayajnah / The Knower of the conventions. om samayajnaya namah.
361. havir-harih / Hari who is the recipient of the havis offered in the yajna. om havir-haraye namah.
sarva-lakshna-lakshanyah / a) He who is the abode of all the auspicious
qualities, b) He who is the ultimate definition of all good qualities, c) He who
is pointed to as the Ultimate Truth through all
analysis, d) He who reveals Himself through everything around us. om sarva-lakshana lakshanyaya namah.
363. lakshmIvan / He who is always with Lakshmi. om lakshmivate namah.
364. samtinjayah / He who is victorious in battles. om samitinjayaya namah.
365. viksharah / He who never wanes. om viksharaya namah.
366. rohitah / He who is of red complexion. om rohitaya namah.
367. margah / He who is sought after. om margaya namah.
368. hetuh / The Cause. om hetave namah.
369. damodarah / 1) He who has the worlds in His belly. 2) One who was tied around His waist by ropes by YaSodA. 3) One who has happiness for His devotees. 4) One who is attained by observances such as dama. om damodaraya namah.
370. sahah / He who has patience. om sahaya namah.
371. mahidharah / The Supporter of the Earth. om mahIdharaya namah.
372. mahi-bhagah / He who is extremely Fortunate. om maha-bhagaya namah.
373. vegavan / He who is quick. om vegavate namah.
374. amitasanah / a) The voracious Eater. b) He who gives unlimited supply of food to His creations. om amitaaanaya namah.
375. udbhavah / a) He who removes the bondage. b) He who is beyond the bondage of samsara. c) He who is the origin of the Universe. om udbhavaya namah.
376. khsobhanah / The Creator of a commotion. om khshobanaya namah.
377. devah / He who sports Himself. om devaya namah.
378. srI-garbhah / a) He who has Lakshmi always with Him in His play as devah. b) He who has Lakshmi in Him in the form of the Universe. c) He who is the abode of all auspicious qualities (SrI). om sri-garbhaya namah.
379. paramesvarah / The Supreme Ruler. om paramesvaraya namah.
380. karanam / The Means. om karanaya namah.
381. karanam / The Cause - He who causes others to act. om karanaya namah.
382. karta / The Agent. om kartre namah.
383. vikarta / a) He who undergoes modifications. b) He who created the world of varieties. om vikartre namah.
384. gahanah / He who is deep and inscrutable. om gahanaya namah.
385. guhah / a) The Savior. b) One who hides Himself effectively from non-devotees. om guhaya namah.
386. vyavasayah / a) The Pivot (of the planets). b) One with a firm and resolute mind, One with True Knowledge about Self. om vyavasayaya namah.
387. vyavasthanah / The basis. om vyavasthanaya namah.
388. samsthanah / The final end. om samsthanaya namah.
389. sthana-dah / The Giver of the Supreme Abode. om sthanadaya namah.
390. dhruvah / The Stationary (Fixed). om dhruvaya namah.
391. pararddhih / He who is full of noble and auspicious qualities. om paraddhaye namah.
392. parma-spashtah / He whose greatness is explicit. om parama-spashtaya namah.
393. tushtah / He who is full of happiness. om tushtaya namah.
394. pushtah / He who is full of noble qualities. om pushtaya namah.
395. subekshanah / He who has auspicious eyes. om subhekshanaya namah.
396. ramah / a) He who delights others. b) He in whom everyone delights. om ramaya namah.
397. viramah / a) He before whom all become powerless. b) He who is the final goal of everyone. om viramaya namah.
398. virajo-margah / One who shows the faultless path. om virataya namah - The Unattached. om margaya namah - He who is sought after. om virajo-margaya namah - He who shows the flawless path.
399. neyah / He who lets Himself be governed (by His devotees). om neyaya namah.
400. nayah / He who draws everyone towards Himself. om nayaya namah.
401. anayah / He who cannot be spirited away. om anayaya namah.
402 virah / Valiant (See 664). om viraya namah.
403. saktimatam-sreshthah / The Greatest among the powerful. om saktimatam-sreshthaya namah.
404. dharmah / Virtue Incarnate. om dharmaya namah.
405. dharmavid-uttamah / The foremost among those who are conscious of dharma. om dharma-vid-uttamaya namah.
406. vaikunthah / Remover of obstacles (to union). om vaikunthaya namah.
407. purushah / The Purifier. om purushaya namah.
408. pranah / The vital air (Life-breath). om praaaya namah.
410. pranamah / a) He who makes others bow before Him. b) He who deserves to be worshiped. om pranamaya namah.
411. prthuh / Well-known. om prthave namah.
412. hiranya-garbhah / He who delights everyone's heart. om hiranya-garbhaya namah.
413. satru-ghnah / The Slayer of the enemies. om satru-ghnaya namah.
414. vyaptah / He who is full (of love and affection). om vyapataya namah.
415. vayuh / He who moves (towards His devotees). om vayave namah.
417. adhokshajah / He who does not get diminished. om adhokshajaya namah.
417. rtuh / Seasons (The Lord of Time who governs the seasons). om rtave namah.
418. sudarsanah / a) He of a delightful appearance that induces happiness in those who see Him. b) He whose vision leads to moksham. c) He whose eyes resemble the lotus petals. d) He who is seen easily by His devotees. om sudarsanaya namah.
419. kalah / a) He who draws all towards Himself. b) He who measures and sets a limit to everything. c) He who is Death or annihilation to all His enemies. d) He who measures everyone's karma and doles out the phala. om kalaya namah.
420. parameshthi / a) He who resides in the Supreme Abode, Sriviakuntham. b) He who resides in the Supreme cave of the heart. om parameshthine namah.
421. parigrahah / a) He who takes all with Him. b) He who is grasped on all sides by those who seek refuge in Him. c) He who accepts any offering by His devotees when offered with sincerity. d) He who has everything in this Universe under His control. om parigrahaya namah.
422. ugrah / The Formidable. om ugraya namah.
423. samvatsarah / a) He who resides (in the patala loka). b) He in whom everything resides. om samvatsaraya namah.
424. dakshah / He who is quick in action. om dakshaya namah.
425. visramah / a) The Place of Rest. b) One who provides rest to all the beings. om visramaya namah.
426. visva-dakshinah / a) He who is well-disposed towards all. b) He who offers the whole world as dakshina in the asva-medha yaga. c) He who is proficient in everything. d) He who is more proficient than everyone. om visva-dakshinaya namah.
427. vistarah / a) He who spreads (the Vedas). b) He who is spread out in everything. c) He who expands to contain everything (at the time of pralaya). om vistaraya namah.
428. sthavar-sthanuh / a) He who is tranquil after establishing the dharma in krita yuga. b) He in whom the earth etc. rest, c) He who is motionless, and in whom the earth etc. rest. om sthavar-sthanave namah.
429. pramanam / The Authority. om pramanaya namah.
430. bijam-avyayam / The Seed Imperishable. om bijaya avyayaya namah.
431. arthah / The Goal - He who is sought after. om arthaya namah.
432. anarthah / a) He who is not the goal for some. b) He who is self-fulfilled and does not have any other end to seek. om anarthaya namah.
433. maha-kosah / a) He who has a great treasure. b) He who is a Great Treasure. c) He who is shielded by the five kosas or shields. om maha-kosaya namah.
434. maha-bhogah / He who has objects of great enjoyment. om maha-bhogaya namah.
435. maha-dhanah / He of great wealth. om maha-dhanaya namah.
436. anirvinnah / He who is never despondent. om a-nirvinnaya namah.
437. sthavishthah / He who is Immense. om stahvishthaya namah.
438. bhuh / The All-supporter. om bhuve namah.
439. dharma-yupah / He who is united with dharma. om dharma-yupaya namah.
440. maha-makhah / The Great yajna-svarupi. om maha-makhaya namah.
441. nakshatra-nemih / He who makes the stars move. om nakshatra-nemaye namah.
442. nakshatri / He who has (supports) the stars. om nakshatrine namah.
443. kshamah / a) He who is competent. b) He who has great patience. om kshamaya namah.
444. kshamah / a) He who is in a diminished form. b) He in whom all forms diminish. om kshamaya namah.
/ a) He who establishes all others (Indra etc.) in their respective posts. b)
Well-wisher, He who works towards the welfare of His creation. om samihanaya
446. yajnah / The Sacrifice. om yajnaya namah.
447. ijyayah / He who is the (only) object of worship. om ijyaya namah.
448. mahejyah / He who is the best among the objects of worship. om mahejyaya namah.
449. kratuh / a) Object of worship through the sacrifices called kratus. b) He who is behind the actions of everybody or He by whom everything is done. om kratave namah.
450. satram / a) He who is worshipped by the sacrifice called satram. b) He who protects the good people. c) He who makes everything go. om satraya namah.
451. satam gatih / The Goal of the pious. om satam-gataye namah.
452. sarva-darsI / The All-Seer. om sarva-darsine namah.
453. nivrttatma / a) He whose mind is turned away from worldly desires. b) He who is the atma of those who follow the nivrtti dharma. om nivrttatmane namah.
454. sarvajnah / The Omniscient. om sarvajnaya namah.
455. jnanam-uttamam / The Greatest Knowledge. om uttamaya jnanaya namah or jnanaya uttamaya namah.
456. su-vratah / a) He of good vows - to protect anyone who surrenders. b) He who did intense tapas in His nara-narayana incarnation. c) He who has good control of the offerings He accepts - e.g., from the likes of kucela only. d) He who observes nitya-karma-s in His incarnations just to set an example to us. om su-vrtaya namah.
457. su-mukhah / He with a charming face. om su-mukhaya namah.
458. sukshmah / Subtle, delicate and difficult to comprehend. om sukhsmaya namah.
459. su-ghoshah / a) He whose voice is itself the great Vedas. b) He who is praised by the delightful voice of the Vedas. c) He who has a very sweet, deep, and sonorous voice. om su-ghoshaya namah.
460. sukha-dah / He who Bestows Bliss. om sukha-daya namah.
461. su-hrt / The good-hearted, a True Friend. om su-hrde namah.
462. mano-harah / He who captivates the heart. om mano-haraya namah.
463. jita-krodhah / He who has overcome anger. om jita-krodhaya namah.
464. vIra-bahuh / He of mighty arms. om vIra-bahave namah.
465. vidaranah / a) He who cut (rahu, hirnyakasipu and others). b) He who cuts the sins of His devotees. om vidaranaya namah.
466. svapanah / He who lulls people into sleep. om svapanaya namah.
467. sva-vasah / He who is under His own control. om sva-vasaya namah.
468. vyapi / The Pervader. om vyapine namah.
469. naikatma / He of diverse forms. om naikatmane namah.
470. naika-karma-krt / He who performs diverse acts. om naika-karma-krte namah.
471. vatsarah / a) He who lives within all beings. b) He in whom everything resides. c) He who is the Infinite Time. d) He who restored the calves to the gopas. om vatsaraya namah.
472. vatsalah / The Affectionate. om vatsalaya namah.
473. vatsi / a) He who possesses lots of calves, b) He who possesses lots of children whom He protects like a cow protects its calves. om vatsine namah.
474. ratna-garbhah / a) He who is in possession of abundant wealth. b) He who is the source of everything that can give happiness. om ratna-garbhaya namah.
475. dhanesvarah / The quick giver of wealth. om dhanesvaraya namah.
476. dharma-gup / He who protects dharma. om dharma-gupe namah.
477. dharma-krt / a) He who induces His devotees to follow dharma. b) He who practices dharma. om dharma-krte namah.
478. dharmi / He who has dharma as an instrument. om dharmine namah.
479. sat / a) He who is commendable. b) He who is ever existent. c) He who is in the form of good and meritorious acts. om sate namah.
480. aksharam (sat) / a) He whose existence is never diminished or destroyed in any way. b) sad-aksharam - He who never forsakes the good. om akshara-sate namah.
481. a-sat / a) That which does not exist now, but existed in the past as well as will exist in the future. b) He who is the cause of misery to those who do sinful acts. c) He who is non-existent for those who do not follow the path of dharma. om a-sate namah.
482. asat-ksharam / He who moves away from the bad. om asat-ksharaya namah.
483. avijnata / The Non-cognizant. om avijnatre namah.
484. sahasramsuh / He who has a thousand rays (of knowledge). om sahasramsave namah.
485. vidhata / a) The (Supreme) Controller. b) The Supporter of the Universe. c) The Creator of brahma. om vidhatre namah.
486. krta-lakshanah / a) He who has prescribed the distinguishing characteristics for the pious. b) He who has created distinguishing marks for Himself. c) He who has created the Vedas. d) He who distinguished the different species by external and internal attributes. om krta-lakshanaya namah.
487. gabhasti-nemih / a) He who has the effulgent cakra as His weapon. b) He who enlightens everything by His effulgence. c) He who is the Center of the planetary system (viz. the Sun). om gabhasti-nemaye namah.
sattva-sthah / a) He who is in the hearts of the devotees. b) He who abides
c) He who resides in all beings. om sattva-sthaya namah.
489. simhah / a) He who punishes (those who harm His devotees). b) He who took the nrisimha form. c) He who is most powerful. om simhaya namah.
490. bhuta-mahesvarah / The Supreme Lord of all beings. om bhuta-mahesvaraya namah.
adi-devah / a) He who is the first cause and is endowed with
effulgence. b) The Foremost Deity.
c) He who swallows the three worlds at the time of pralaya, and releases at the time of creation. om adi-devaya namah.
maha-devah / The great Player. om maha-devaya namah.
devesah / The Ruler of Gods.
om devesaya namah.
om devesaya namah.
deva-bhrit / The Supporter of gods.
om deva-bhrite namah.
om deva-bhrite namah.
guruh / The Preceptor.
om gurave namah.
om gurave namah.
496. uttarah / a) The Rescuer (of brahma and others from the asuras), b) The Savior (of devotees from samsara), c) He who transcends the bounds of birth and transmigration. om uttaraya namah.
497. go-patih / a) The Master of
all words (Vedas as well as all languages). b) The Protector of His own word. c)
The Protector of His bhakta's words. d) Protector of the cows in His
e) Protector of all that moves around. f) The Lord of Mother Earth. g) The Lord of the (celestial) world. om go-pataye namah. [This nama reoccurs as nama 599.]
498. gopta / a) The Savior. b) He who hides Himself from non-devotees. om goptre namah. [This nama re-occurs as nama 600.]
499. jnana-gamyah / He who is to be realized by knowledge. om jnana-gamyaya namah.
500. puratanah / The Ancient. om puratanaya namah.
501. sarira-bhuta-bhrit / a) He who supports all the tattvas which constitute the sarira. b) He who supports all beings which are part of His body. c) He who protects the devatas who are associated with different parts of the body. om Sarira-bhuta-bhrite namah.
502. bhokta / The Enjoyer. om bhoktre namah.
503. kapindrah / a) The Lord of the monkeys. b) The Great Boar - varaha. c) He who controls all movement in everything. om kapindraya namah.
504. bhuri-dakshinah / a) The giver of liberal gifts. b) He who makes things grow fast and move fast. c) He who is extremely dexterous. om bhuri-dakshinaya namah.
505. somapah / a) He who drank the soma juice after performing sacrificial offerings in His Rama incarnation. b) He who, in the form of the deity being invoked in a yajna, accepts the soma juice by the householder performing the yajna. om somapaya namah.
506 - amritapah / The drinker of ambrosia. om amritapaya namah.
507. somah / a) The Nectar. b) The moon. om somaya namah.
508. puru-jit / The Conqueror of all. om purujite namah.
509. puru-sattamah / a) He who remains with the great. b) He whose form is of cosmic dimensions, and who is the best of all. om puru-sattamaya namah.
510. vinayah / a) The Subduer. b) He who leads well. om vinayaya namah.
511. jayah / a) He who is conquered. b) He who is victorious. om jayaya namah.
512. satya-sandhah / a) He whose promises are always true. b) He of firm resolve. om satya-sandhaya namah.
513. dasarhah / a) He who is worthy of gifts. b) He is worthy to be possessed as a gift. c) He who was born in the race of dasarhah i.e., the Yadava race. om dasarhaya namah.
514. sattvatam-patih / The Lord of the sattvatas. om sattvatam-pataye namah.
515. jivah / He who gives true life to His devotees. om jivaya namah.
516. vinayita / a) The Savior. b) He who shows the path to everyone. om vinayitre namah.
517. sakshi / The Observer. om sakshine namah.
518. mukundah / He who gives moksha. om mukundaya namah.
519. amita-vikramah / a) He of boundless valor. b) He of the three great strides (tri-vikrama). om amita-vikramaya namah.
520. ambho-nidhih / a) He who has the waters as His abode (Kurma incarnation). b) He who is in the form of the Oceans. c) He who sustains the Ambhas (devas, men, manes, and asuras). om ambho-nidhaye namah.
521. anantatma / The Inner Soul of ananta. on anantatmane namah.
522. mahodadhi-sayah / He Who is reclining in the vast ocean. om mahodadhi-sayaya namah.
523. antakah / He Who beings out the end of all. om antakaya namah.
524. ajah / a) He who is signified by the letter 'a'. b) He who is not born. c) He who drives away the darkness in the mind of the devotee. d) He who goes where the devotee is. e) He who is the cause of motion in the heart. f) He who is ever active in bestowing the effects of karma. g) The collections of things that exist. h) He who is everywhere and in everything. om ajaya namah.
525. maharhah / He who is worthy of worship. om maharhaya namah.
526. svabhavyah / a) He who is to be meditated upon by those who belong to Him. b) He who is by nature fit to be the Master. c) He who is naturally without a beginning. d) He who is present everywhere and in everything without exception. om svabhavyaya namah.
527. jitamitrah / a) He who helps His devotees conquer enemies such as anger, kamam, ahamkaram, mamakaram, etc. b) He who has conquered anger, kamam, etc. c) He who has conquered His enemies such as ravana etc. om jitamitraya namah.
528. pramodanah / a) He who delights His devotees. b) He who is always joyful. om pramodanaya namah.
529. anandah / He Who is Bliss. om anandaya namah.
530. nandanah / The Bliss-Giver. om nandanaya namah.
531. nandah / He Who is full of things that are Blissful. om nandaya namah.
532. satya-dharma / a) He Who performs His dharma truthfully. b) He Who protects those who have surrendered to Him without exception. c) He Who truly all the kalyana guna-s in perfection. om satya-dharmane namah.
533. tri-vikramah / a) He Who pervades the three Vedas. b) He Who measured the three worlds with three strides. c) He Who pervades all the three worlds completely. d) He Who has transcended the waking, sleep, and deep-sleep states. om tri-vikramaya namah.
534. maharshih / The Great Seer. om maharshaye namah.
535. kapilacaryah / He Who is of brown complexion and also an acarya. om kapilacaryaya namah.
536. krtajnah / a) He Who remembers the good deed done. b) He Who is both the Created and the Creator. c) He Who knows everything about His Creation. om krtajnaya namah.
537. medinipatih / The Lord or Protector of the Earth. om medinipataye namah.
538. tripadah / a) The Propounder of the three tattvas. b) He Who is in the form of pranava mantra with three letters. c) He Who assumed the form of a Boar with three humps. d) He Who triumphed over the worlds with three steps. e) He Who is the Lord of the past, present, and future. om tri-padaya namah.
539. tridasadhyakshah / a) The Savior of the thirty-three gods. b) The Master of the three states. c) The Master of the three gunas. om tridasadhyakshaya namah.
540. maha-sringah / a) The Big-tusked Varaha. b) He who took the matsya rupam with the big horn. om mahasringaya namah.
541. kritantakrit / a) The Slayer of hiranyaksha. b) He who kills death himself. c) He who proclaimed the kritanta (siddhanta). d) He who brings about the end to the manifested condition of the Universe. om kritantakrite namah.
542. mahavarahah / He Who appeared in the form of the Great Boar. om mahavarahaya namah.
543. govindah / a) One who is praised by the gods (for His help). b) One who dug out the Earth from the depths of the Ocean. c) The protector of cows. d) One who confers the Vedas. e) He who rescued the Earth. f) He who is known by Vedic sentences. g) He who is responsible for all things that move. om govindaya namah.
544. sushenah / a) He who is equipped with a body with suddha sattva sakti-s that are like an army. b) He Who has an army of auspicious associates. om sushenaya namah.
545. kanakangadi / He Who is adorned by armlets of gold. om kanakangadaye namah.
546. guyhah / He who is concealed. om guhyaya namah.
547. gabhirah / He who is deep or mysterious. om gabhiraya namah.
548. gahanah / a) He who is deep, Impenetrable, Inexplicable. b) He who is the witness in everyone. om gahanaya namah.
549. guptah / He who is hidden. om guptaya namah.
550. cakragadadharah / The bearer of the discus and the mace. om cakragadadharaya namah.
/ a) The Provider. b) The Doer (of auspicious happenings). c) The Creator. om vedhase namah.
om vedhase namah.
552. svangah /
a) He who has the marks of sovereignty which are His own. b) He who is both the
Instrumental Cause and the Material Cause of the Universe. c) He who has
beautiful, well-proportioned limbs. d) He who, in the form of the Universe,
moves by Himself.
om svangaya namah.
om svangaya namah.
553. ajitah /
a) He who is unconquered, and unconquerable. b) He who is the Chief of the
Unconquerable place called ajita or srivaikuntha. c) He who took the amsavatara
in the 6th manvantara as ajitah to help in churning the Milk Ocean. d) He who is
unconquered in His vow to protect those who have surrendered to Him.
om ajitaya namah.
om ajitaya namah.
554. krshnah /
a) One who is always in a state of Bliss (with His sport of creation etc.). b)
The Dark-hued. c) He who irresistibly attracts His devotees to Him through His
infinite kalyana gunas. d) He who cultivates the Earth like a plough and makes
it suitable for life forms to form and nourish. e) He who appeared as veda vyasa
or krshna dvaipayana. f) He who cultivates the minds of devotees by providing
the veda-s in His incarnation as krishna dvaipayana. g) The Dark, Mysterious,
and Unknowable except by deep devotion.
om krishnaya namah.
om krishnaya namah.
555. drdhah /
a) He Who assumes firm, concrete vyuha forms for the benefit of His devotees. b)
He Who is firm and determined in His thoughts, words and deeds. c) He Who is
firmly established and cannot be negated as the Supreme Deity by
counter-arguments. d) He Who is huge and strong. om dridhaya namah.
556. sankarshanah /
He Who draws others near Him.
om sankarshanaya namah.
om sankarshanaya namah.
557. acyutah /
a) One who never slips from His glory. b) One who never lets His devotees slip.
c) One who undergoes no modifications such as birth, growth, decay, disease,
om acyutaya namah.
om acyutaya namah.
558. varunah /
He Who envelops.
om varunaya namah.
om varunaya namah.
559. varunah /
a) He Who is with those who have sought Him as their Lord or svami. b) The Son
of varuNa. c) He Who removes the adversities of His devotees
. om varunaya namah
. om varunaya namah
560. vrikshah /
a) He Who provides shade like a tree (i.e., He is the Resort) for the wise. b)
He Who is firm like a tree.
om vrikshaya namah.
om vrikshaya namah.
/ a) He Who has nourishing eyes. b) He Who has beautiful lotus-like eyes.
om pushkarakshaya namah.
c) He Who pervades all space. d) He Who has the Sun and the Moon as His eyes. e) He Who shines as the light of consciousness when meditated upon in the lotus of the heart.
om pushkarakshaya namah.
/ a) The Broad-minded. b) He Who has a great (highly capable) mind. c) He Who
has a mind (intellect) with unlimited capability . om maha-manase namah.
. om maha-manase namah.
/ a) He Who is worthy of worship. b) He Who is full of the six attributes. c) He
Who knows the origin and the end of all beings.
om bhagavate namah.
om bhagavate namah.
564. bhagaha / a) He Who is possessed of auspicious qualities. b) He Who gets rid of the wealth etc. from everyone during pralaya. om bhagaghne namah.
565. nandi or
anandi / a) He Who has nanda as His father. b) He Who is ever blissful by
Nature, and also because of His prosperity and the six gunas. c) He Who is ever
happy by association with His devotees. d) He Who gives Bliss to His devotees. om nandine namah, or om anandine namah.
om nandine namah, or om anandine namah.
566. vanamali /
He Who has the vanamala garland. om vanamaline namah.
567. halayudhah /
One Who has the plough in His hand. om halaydhaya namah.
om halaydhaya namah.
568. adityah /
a) Son of Devaki who was Aditi in her previous birth. b) Son of Aditi (and
Kasyapa) in His Vamana incarnation. c) Bhagavan Samkarshana, who is attained
through the bija mantra "A". d) He from Whom moksha is obtained.
om adityaya namah.
om adityaya namah.
569. jyotir-adityah /
a) The Resplendent Aditya. b) He Who resides in the disc of the sun. c) He Who
glows like the sun . om jyotir-adityaya namah.
. om jyotir-adityaya namah.
570 sahishnuh /
a) He Who is endowed with enormous patience. b) He Who forgives. c) He Who
suffers patiently for us with perfect detachment. d) He Who conquers His foes.
e) He Who willingly accepts the offerings of His devotees. f) He Who can bear
the opposites - like heat and cold.
om sahishnave namah.
om sahishnave namah.
570. gati-sattamah /
a) The best instructor in the path of dharma. b) The Best among the refuges to
be sought. c) The Ultimate Support and the Greatest of all beings.
om gati-sttamaya namah.
om gati-sttamaya namah.
572. sudhanva / He Who has a splendid bow. om sudhanvane namah.
573. khanda-parasuh / He with the broken axe. Om khanda-parasave namah.
574. darunah / a) The Splitter. b) He who is merciless to those who deviate from the path of virtue. Om darunaya namah.
575. dravina-pradah / The Bestower of wealth. Om dravina-pradaya namah.
576. divisprk / He Who touches the skies. a) through His knowledge, b) by His being not only in the form of this Universe, but also far beyond it. c) By His vamana incarnation. d) By His viavarupa revealed to arjuna. e) By His being the antaryami for surya and the other planets. Om divisprse namah.
577. sarvadrk / The All-seer. a) He who sees everything - the totality of para tattvam. b) He who is in the form of knowledge of all forms. c) He who is the Creator of all forms that can see under different conditions. Om sarvadrse namah.
578. vyasah / The Arranger. a)
He who arranged the Vedas into its four divisions, the Puranas
into 18, etc. b) He who divided time as well as His creation into its various sub-divisions (e.g., day and night, Sukla paksha and Krshna paksha, man from woman, Surya from Candra, etc.), c) He whose ornaments (like kaustubha) shine distinctly. Om vyasaya namah.
579. vacas-patih / The Master of words. (See also 218) Om vacaspataye namah.
580. ayonijah / The Unborn. Om ayonijaya namah.
581. tri-sama / He who is propounded by the three-fold Sama Veda. om tri-samne namah.
582. sama-gah / a) The singer of sAma. b) He who is praised by the Sama. Om sama-gaya namah.
583. sama / a) He who removes the sins of those who sing about Him. b) He who is in the form of the Sama Veda Himself. c) He who is soft and sweet. Om samne namah.
584. nirvanam / The Bliss. a) He who is the cause of Bliss to His devotees. b) He who is the embodiment of Bliss Himself. Om nirvanaya namah.
585. bheshajam / The Remedy. Om bheshajaya namah.
586. bhishak / The Physician. Om bhishaje namah.
587. sannyasa-krt / a) He Who cuts asunder the bonds when desires are renounced. b) The Institutor of the samnyasa asrama for the attainment of moksha. c) He Who shows the path of Saranagati to His devotee. Om sannyasa-krte namah.
588. Samah / a) He Who instructs on how to control anger etc. b) He who instructs that control of mind is the principal dharma for samnyasin. c) He who controls all beings, including during pralaya. d) He Who has absolute control of mind - He Whose nature is Calmness. e) He who puts an end to the darkness in His devotees' mind. Om Samaya namah.
589. Santah / He whose mind is always tranquil. Om Santaya namah.
590. nishtha / a) The object of concentration. b) The stable Abode of all during pralaya. Om nishthayai namah.
591. santih / a) Peace. b) The object of meditation. c) The Ultimate Support. Om santaye namah.
592. parayanam / a) The Ultimate Means. b) The Best Goal. c) He Who has the Best Abode to seek. Om parayanaya namah.
593. Subhangah / a) He Who possesses and gives the eight auspicious accessories of yoga. b) He Who has a handsome form. c) He Who has a form that bestows mangalam to those who meditate on It. d) He Who makes everything auspicious by His presence, movement, etc. The same nama occurs again as nama 788. Om subhangaya namah.
594. santi-dah / The bestower of eternal peace. Om santidaya namah
595. srashtA / The Creator. Om srashtre namah. (This nama also occurs later as nama 990.)
596. ku-mudah / He who is happy in His relation to this world in various forms. Om kumudaya namah.
(This nama also occurs as nama 813.)
597. kuvalesayah / a) The Controller of the jivas who wander in this world with the thought that they are the masters of their bodies. b) He Who is reclining in the waters surrounding this earth. om kuvalesayaya namah.
598. gohitah / a) He Who looks after the welfare of the world. b) He Who protected the cows by lifting the Govardhana mountain. Om gohitaya namah.
599. gopatih / a) The Lord of the Celestial world. b) The Lord of the indriyas. om gopataye namah. (This nama occurred earlier as nama 497, Slokam 53.)
600. gopta / The Protector. Om goptre namah. (This nama occurred earlier as nama 498, Slokam 53.)
601. vrshabhakshah / a) He Who is the Support for the cycle of samsara in the form of dharma. b1) He Whose Eyes shower all fruits desired. b2) He who has dharma as His objective. om vrshabhakshaya namah.
602. vrshapriyah / a) dharma-lover. b) Dear to the virtuous. Om vrsha-priyaya namah.
603. anivarti / a) He who does not turn away those who are inclined to come back to this world. b) He Who does not turn away from His battles with the asuras. c) He Who does not turn away from dharma under any circumstance. d) He whose creations never turn back in their shape, form etc. till pralaya. Om anivartine namah.
604. nivrttatma / a) He whose Nature is superior to other things. b) He who is the atma of those who practice the nivrtti dharma. c) He whose nature is that He is free from the bonds of samsara. d) He whose mind is turned away from worldly attachments. e) He whose mind turns away from any feeling of self-glory over His kirti or fame. f) He who naturally turns away from the objects of senses. g) He who does not turn away from anywhere because of He is Omnipresent. om nivrttatmane namah.
605. samkshepta / a) He who constrains or limits (the field of light of knowledge of those who practice the pravrtti dharma). b) He who, at the time of cosmic dissolution, contracts the expansive Universe into a subtle state. c) He who minimizes the misfortunes of His devotees. Om samksheptre namah.
606. kshema-krt / a) He who does what is good for His devotees. b) He who protects what has been acquired by His devotees. Om kshema-krte namah.
607. sivah / a) He who gives auspicious things to His devotees. b) He who purifies those who meditate on Him. c) He in whom the whole Universe rests at the time of pralaya. d) He who resides in everything and everywhere. Om Sivaya namah.
608. srivatsa-vakshah / He who has the Srivatsa mole on His chest. Om Srivatsa vakshase namah.
609. srI-vasah / The Abode of Lakshmi. Om Sri-vasaya namah.
610. srI-patih / a)The Consort of Lakshmi. b) The Master of the Supreme Cosmic Power. Om srI-pataye namah.
611. srImatam-varah / a) The Best Among those who possess affluence. b) The Best among those who possess knowledge of the Vedas. Om srimatam-varaya namah.
612. Sridah / The Giver of Glories. om Sridaya namh.
613. SriSah / a) He Who is the
Isa or Lord of Sri. b) He Who has Sri as His Ruler.
om Srisaya namah.
om Srisaya namah.
614. Srinivasah /
The Abode of Lakshmi, b) The Support of Lakshmi. c) He who dwells in purified
hearts. d) He who resides where Lakshmi resides.
om Srinivasaya namah.
om Srinivasaya namah.
Srinidhih / a) He who has Lakshmi as His wealth. b) He in whom all wealth
resides. c) He who is the treasure house for Sri.
Srivibhavanah / a) He who owes His greatness to Lakshmi. a) He who bestows
greatness on all according to their karma. b) He who makes Lakshmi's fame (vivhavam)
known to everyone.
617. Sridharah / The Bearer of Sri. Om sridharaya namah.
618. Srikarah / a) He who makes Lakshmi (follow Him in His incarnations). b) He who confers Sri (spiritual wealth) on the devotees, including moksham (nitya-sri). c) He who makes His devotees shine with Sri (glory). d) He who has taken the hand of Sri (Mahs Lakshmi). Om Sri-karaya namah.
619. sreyas-sriman / a) He that has Lakshmi who is resorted to by devotees for attaining the good. b) He who is decorated with the exquisitely beautiful wealth of ornaments such as His nupuram, keyuram, katakam, kiritam, etc. Om sreyas-srImate namah.
620. loka-trayasrayah / a) He Who is the Resort for all three worlds. b) He who is the substratum for the worlds-of-experiences of waking, dream, and deep sleep. Om loka-trayasrayaya namah.
621. svakshah / The Beautiful-Eyed. Om svakshaya namah.
622. sva'ngah / The Lovely-bodied. Om sva'ngaya namah.
623. SatAnandah / He of infinite Bliss. Om Satanandaya namah.
624. nandih / He who is ever delighted. Om nandaye namah.
625. jyotir-gaNeSvarah / a) The Lord of the host of lustrous deities (nitya suris). b) The Lord of the luminaries (the stars, sun, moon, etc.). Om jyotir-ganesvaraya namah.
626. vijitAtmA / a) He whose mind has been conquered (by His devotees). b) He who has conquered His Mind. Om vijitatmane namah.
627. vidheyAtmA / a) He who is of a submissive nature (to His devotees). b) He who has the jiva-s as subservient to Him. c) If a-vidheyatma, then He who is subservient to no one. Om vidheyatmane namah.
628. sat-kIrtih / He of true renown. Om sat-kirtaye namah.
chinna-samSayah / The Dispeller of all doubts. Om chinna-samsayaya namah.
udirnah / a) He Who visibly manifests Himself through His incarnations. b)
He who is superior to all beings. c) He who elevates His devotees to His level. Om udirnaya namah.
Om udirnaya namah.
sarvatash-cakshuh / a) He Who is visible to the eyes of all. b) He who has
eyes everywhere, and sees everything through His consciousness. Om
anisah / a) He Who is not the Master. b) He Who has no one above Him as the
Master. Om anisaya namah.
sasvata-sthirah / He Who is eternally existent and steady. Om sasvata-sthiraya namah.
Om sasvata-sthiraya namah.
634. bhusayah / a) He who lies in His arca form wherever the devotee installs Him. b) He Who lay on the sea shore on His way to SrilankA. c) He who lies inside every one of His creations as their antaryami. d) He in whom the whole world rests at the time of pralaya. Om bhusayaya namah.
635. bhushaNah / He Who becomes adorned, or He Who adorns. a) He who wears the ornament of saulabhyam as His bhushanam. b) He who is decorated with all kinds of different and wonderful ornaments as described by emperumanar in Sri Saranagati gadyam. c) He who adorns this world with His different incarnations at His wish. d) He Who adorns every creature by His being their antaryami. e) He who beautifies this world by His variety of creations. Om bhushanaya namah.
636. bhutih / a) He Who is wealth to His devotees. b) He Who is the personification of Glory. c) He Who is the cause of all glory in His creations. d) He Who exists in the forms of all His creations. Om bhutaye namah.
637. asokah or visokah / He Who is without sorrow. Om asokaya namah.
638. sokanasanah / The Destroyer of sorrows. Om sokanasanaya namah.
639. arcishman / He Who has great luster. Om arcishmate namah.
640. arcitah / He Who is worshipped. Om arcitaya namah.
641. kumbhah / a ) He Who is an object of desire. b) He Who shines in this world. c) He Who fills this world with His fame. d) He in Whom everything is contained. e) He Who envelops the earth. Om kumbhaya namah.
642. visuddhatma / He of a pure nature. Om visuddhatmane namah.
643. visodhanah / The Purifier. Om visodhanaya namah.
644. aniruddho / om aniruddhaya namah
645. apratirathah / The Matchless. Om apratirathaya namah.
646. pradyumnah / a) He Who illumines the jivas. b) He Whose wealth is of a superior order. c) The Bestower of all desires. d) He Who is endowed with great strength. om pradyumnaya namah.
647. amitavikramah / He of immeasurable steps. Om amitavikramaya namah.
At the outset, we will note that there are different versions of this Sloka in use, where the namas 649 and 650 occur as follows. virah surah, Saurih surah, Saurir-vIrah, virah saurih, etc. Thus the two names are chosen from vIrah, Saurih, and Surah, depending on the patham that is being used.
648. kalaneminiha / a) The destroyer of the wheel of ignorance of Time. b) The Destroyer of the asura by name kalanemi. c) He Who sets the direction for the sun who is the controller of Time. d) He Who is beyond the wheel of Time. om kala-nemi-nighne namah.
649. saurih / a) The son of Sura (another name for Vasudeva), or He Who is born in the race of suras, a Yadava clan. b) A reference of Sauri rajap perumal of tirukkannapuram c) He Who is ever valiant and victorious. Om sauraye namah. (This nama has been presented earlier as nama 342, Slokam 37.)
650. surah / The Valiant. Om suraya namah.
651. sura-janesvarah / The Chief of the sura-s or the valiant people. Om sura-janesvaraya namah.
652. tri-lokatma / a) He who ever moves about in the three worlds. b) He Who makes the three worlds move about. c) He Who is the atma for everything in all the three worlds. Om tri-lokatmane namah.
653. tri-lokesah / The Ruler of the three worlds. Om tri-lokesaya namah.
654 (23). kesavah / a) One who has beautiful locks of hair. b) He whose hair is of supreme fragrance. c) He who is the source or origin of Brahma and Siva. d) He who is the source of the rays emanating from the Sun etc. e) The Slayer of Kesi. f) The tormentor of His enemies. g) One who has adhipatyam over water (oceans etc.). h) One who has adhipatyam over the different kinds of sukham (including moksham). Om kesavaya namah.
655. kesiha / a) He who killed the asura by name Kesi. b) He who directs Agni, Surya, Indra, Vayu etc. in their functions. Om kesighne namah.
656. harih / a) The green-hued. b) He Who removes the distress of His devotees. c) He Who wards off samsara with its cause from His devotees. d) The Destroyer of the Universe at the time of pralaya. om haraye namah.
kamadevah kama-palah kami kantah krtagamah
anirdesyavapurvishnur viro'nanto dhananjayah ||
657. kama-devah / a) The One who grants all desires. b) The Lord who is desired by those who seek the four purusharthas. Om kama-devaya namah.
658. kama-palah / a) The Protector of the gifts that He bestows. b) The Protector of those who desire Him. Om kama-palaya namah.
659. kami / a) He who has all things that are desirable. b) He who is of fulfilled desires. om kamine namah.
660. kantah / a) He Who is charming. b) He Who causes the end of Brahma at the end of his period. c) He Who is present everywhere, and Effulgent. Om kantaya namah.
anirdesya-vapuh / a)
He of indefinable form. Om anirdesya-vapushe namah.
663. vishnuh / The Pervader. Om vishnave namah.
664. virah / a) The Valiant. b) The swift Mover (into the hearts of His devotees or against demons). c) He Who destroys His enemies. d) He Who makes the enemies tremble in front of Him and run, showing their backs. Om vIraya namah.
/ a) The Limitless. b) One who is beyond the reach of those who are not of pure
Om anantaya namah.
666. dhananjayah / a) He Who surpasses all other wealth in being desired. b) One Who manifested Himself as Arjuna, the conqueror of wealth. Om dhananjayaya namah.
667. brahmanyah / a) He who is beneficial to all the big things both acetana and cetana, namely prakriti and atman. b) He who is beneficial to Brahman, namely the Veda, brahmans well-versed in scripture, penance, etc. Om brahmanyaya namah.
668. brahma-krt-brahma / The Creator Who created Brahma, the creator of big things. Om brahma-krt-brahmane namah.
669. brahma / The Supreme Brahman, Paramatma. Om brahmane namah.
670. brahma-vivardhanah / a) He Who makes dharma grow. b) He Who grows and nurtures everything in a big way. Om brahma-vivardhanaya namah.
671. brahmavit / a) The Knower of the Vedas. b) He Who restored the Vedas during His Matsya incarnation. c) He Who knows everything big, both seen and unseen, and those that can only be inferred. om brahmavide namah.
672. brahmanah / The Instructor of the Vedas. om brahamnaya namah.
/ a) He who possesses all that goes by the term brahma - prakriti, Purusha,
Isvara, Veda, etc. b) He Who has the four-faced Brahma in His nabhi-kamalam. om
674. brahmanjah / The Knower of the inner meaning of the Vedas. om brahmajnaya namah.
675. brahmana-priyah / a) He for Whom the brahamanas are of special liking. b) He Who is specially liked by the brahamanas. om brahamna-priyaya namah.
676. mahakramah / a) He Who provides easy step-by-step access for the elevation of His devotee. b) He of the three great strides (in His Trivikrama incarnation). c) He Whose strides are great in that He reaches everything faster than anyone else. d) He Whose Feet are great (to surrender). om mahakramaya namah
677. mahakarma / He of great actions. Om mahakarmane namah.
678. mahatejah / He of great Resplendence. Om mahatejase namah.
679. mahoragah / a) He Who is great, and enters into our heart (uras). b) He Who has a great heart (uras), and blesses us. c) He Who manifests Himself in the form of the great serpent Ananta, Vasuki, etc. d) He Who has the serpent ananta as His bed. e) he Who traverses everywhere in the form of the Sun with His broad chest. Om mahoragaya namah.
680. mahakratuh / a) He Who is worshiped by the great yagas. b) He Who can be easily worshiped. c) He Who can be worshiped in many ways d) He Who is the Great Sacrifice (that gives the best results). e) He Who performed the great sacrifice called the pancaratra kratu. Om mahakratave namah.
681. mahayajva / a) He Who performs great sacrifices. b) He Who has the special class of devotees (mahayajvas) of a superior nature. om mahayajvane namah.
682. mahayajnah / a) He Who is the best among those to be worshiped. b) He Who manifests Himself in the form of the best of yajnas. c) He Who is worshiped by the great jnanis, or He Who is worshiped through great sacrifices. Om mahayajnaya namah.
683. mahahavih / a) He Who is worshiped with supreme oblations. b) He Who manifests Himself in the form of the great Offering. c) He Who accepts the whole Universe as havis at the time pralaya. Om mahahavishe namah.
684. stavyah / a) He Who is
worthy of praise. b) He Who is praised by all, but who does not have to praise
anyone else. Om stavyaya namah.
685. stava-priyah / He Who is pleased by the praise in whatever form it is offered. om stava-priyaya namah.
686. stotram / The Eulogy Incarnate. Om stotraya namah.
687. stutah / He Who is praised. Om stutaya namah.
688. stota / a) He Who praises those who extol Him. b) He Who is also the form of the Eulogizer of Bhagavan. Om stotre namah.
689. rana-priyah / a) He
Who delights in battle. b) He Who delights in the auspicious sounds in places of
worship. c) He Who moves around happily in the form of the Sun etc. Om
690. purnah / He Who is complete. Om purnaya namah.
691. purayita / The Fulfiller of the desires of His devotees. Om purayitre namah.
692. punyah / a) The Purifier. b) He Who is excellent in performing pious activities. Om punyaya namah.
693. punya-kirtih / He Whose kirti or praise is also purifying (in addition to Him being the Purifier). Om punya-kirtaye namah.
694. anamayah / a) He Who removes the disease of samsara. b) He Who is beyond pain or suffering - internal, external, karma-related, etc. om anamayaya namah.
695. mano-javah / He Who is swift as thought. Om mano-javase namah.
696. tIrtha-karah / a) He Who is the source of the holy waters. b) He Who makes us cross over the ocean of samsara. c) He Whose touch of hand is purifying. d) He Who has provided simple steps to access Him through His various incarnations. Om tirtha-karaya namah.
697. vasu-retah /
a) The Source of Luster. b) He Who shines like gold in the context of creation.
c) He Who is the cause or origin of the universe. Om vasu-retase namah.
698, 699. vasu-pradah / a) The
Giver of Treasure (in the form of Himself). b) The Giver of Glory or Dignity. c)
The Bestower of moksham. d) He Who provides the place for dwelling for all
Om vasu-pradaya namah.
700. vasu-devah / a) He Who pervades and sports. b) The Son of vasudeva. c) The presiding Deity of the well-known 12-lettered vasu-deva mantra. d) The Deity Who is adored by His devotees. e) He Who lives in everything and Who keeps them moving around. Om vasudevaya namah.
701. vasuh / a) The
Dweller (in the hearts of His devotees). b) The Best of wealth that is sought
after. c) He Who resides in the Milk-Ocean. d) He Who is in the form of the vasu-s.
e) He Who lives in everything and in whom everything lives. f) He Who conceals
Himself (from those who are not devoted to Him). g) He Who is the final dwelling
place for all. Om vasave namah.
702. vasu-manah / a) He Who has a Mind which thinks of His devotees as a treasure. b) He Whose mind is always with vasudeva. c) He Who has a golden mind - pure, without any afflictions. d) He Who has a pure mind (He dwells in every thing without distinction). e) He Who has a mind which is filled with vatsalyam to His devotees. f) He Who has a mind that leads to His removing the difficulties of His devotees. g) He Who has complete knowledge of the type of body and other needs of all beings. h) He Whose mind was with bhishma as he lay in his death-bed of arrows. Om vasu-manase namah.
703. havih / a) The Sacrificial Offering. b) He Who is satisfied or pleased. Om havishe namah.
704. sadgatih / a) He Who who provides the right path for the good. b) He Who is Himself the right path for the good. c) He Who has superior intellect. d) He Who is attainable by the good. Om sad-gataye namah.
705. satkrtih / He of lovable acts, and full of good actions. Om satkrtaye namah.
706. satta / Existence Incarnate. Om sattayai namah.
707. sadbhutih / a) The wealth, in all forms, for the good. b) He Who is endowed with rich glories (aisvaryam). c) He Who alone truly exists. d) He Who manifests Himself in infinite forms. om sad-bhutaye namah.
708. satparayanam / a) The Support for the good. b) The supreme Goal for the good. c) He Who has the good people as His support. om satparayanaya namah.
709. sura-senah / a) He
with a valiant army. b) He Who keeps everything that moves around, bound
together and functioning as a unit. Om sura-senaya namah.
710. yadu-sreshthah / a) The pre-eminent among the Yadavas. b) He Who is Best among those who strive (for the redemption of the jiva-s). om yadu-sreshthaya namah.
711. sannivasah / The Abode of the saintly. Om sannivasaya namah.
712. suyamunah /
He with the delightful sport in the Yamuna river. b) He Who is attended by the
good Yamunas. c) He Who has beautiful collyrium in His eyes. d) He Who lifts up
and protects the jivas during the time of pralaya. Om suyamunaya namah.
713. bhutavasah / a) He Who is the abode of all creatures. b) He Who dwells in the hearts of His devotees. c) The dwelling place of the Great Elements. Om bhutavasaaya namah.
714. vasudevah. / Om vasu-devaya namah. [This nama has been covered under nama 700]
715. sarvasunilayah / The Abode and support of all souls. Om sarvasunilayaya namah.
716. analah / a) He Who is never satisfied that He has done enough for His devotees. b) He Who cannot tolerate the offense committed to His devotees. c) He Who receives the prana sakti as His own and functions in the form of the jivatma (Sri Samkara). d) He Who is beyond smell etc. e) He Who is unlimited (in His Glories) (alam - paryapti - end). f) He Who is in the form of Fire. g) One Who has no end (alam - paryapti - end). h) One Who has no opposition (alam - opposition). i) He who rejuvenates His devotees who intensely long for Him (an - pranane ). Om analaya namah.
717. darpaha / The Destroyer of pride. Om darpaghnaya namah.
718. darpa-dah / a) The Bestower of pride (to His devotees). b) The Bestower of beauty and attractiveness in everything. om darpa-daya namah.
719. adrptah / a)
He Who is not proud Himself. Or driptah. b) He Who is ever happy; c) He Who
is proud. Om adrptaya namah.
720. durdharah / a) He Who is difficult to control (as child Krishna). b) He Who cannot be constrained by the evil-minded (Duryodhana). c) He Who is difficult to be held in concentration (except by those of trained mind). Om durdharaya namah.
721. aparajitah / The Invincible. Om aparajitaya namah.
722. visvamurtih / a) He Who has the Universe as His body. b) He Who has a beautiful Form that finds entry into the mind, eyes, etc., of His devotees. c) He Who has maya sakti in the form of the Universe. d) He Who has a Form that can induce maya in everything. Om visva-murtaye namah.
723. mahamurtih / a) He of Immense form. b) He Who is immensely worthy of worship. Om mahamurtaye namah.
724. diptamurtih / He with a shining form. Om diptamurtaye namah.
725. amurtiman / a) He Who has even the subtle and formless things as His possessions. b) He Who Forms that are not the result of karma. c) He Who has a disposition that is not hard, inflexible, etc. d) He Who has Forms that are indescribable, and not fixed. e) He Who takes whatever Forms He pleases as His incarnations, and thus One Who has no fixed forms. Om amurtimate namah.
726. anekamurtaye / He of many forms. Om anekamurtaye namah.
727. avyaktaha / He Who is not manifest; He Who cannot be easily realized. Om a-vyaktaya namah.
728. Satamurtisa / He with a hundred forms. Om satamurtaye namah.
729. satanana / a) He Who is many-faced. b) He Who has provided many different means (such as nose, mouth, etc.) for life to be sustained. c) He Who has created various life-forms and provided easy means for their survival. d) He Who is viewed in different "faces" (in different ways) by different faiths. Om satananaya namah.
730. ekah - One Who is Unique and matchless in all respects. om ekaya namah
731. naikah- He Who is not One only. om naikaya namah
732. sah - a) He Who spreads knowledge. b) He Who is the final authority on all knowledge. c) He Who destroys all obstacles to His devotees. d) He Who is easily accessible, to the point of being pointed out as "He" by the youngsters of Ayarpadi. e) He Who is of the form the soma sacrifice (when the nAma is taken as savah). f) He Who is the final Knowledge, and Who dwells everywhere (savah). om saya namah
733. vah - The Dweller. om vaya namah
734. kah - a) He Who shines. b) He Who is invoked or praised through words by devotees. c) He Who is the personification of happiness. d) He Who remains an unanswered Question Mark when approached through "intellection". om kaya namah
735. kim a) He about Whom all questions are asked by seekers of Truth (such as Where is He, What is He, Who is He, etc.). b) He Whose praise is sung by His devotees, c) He Who is fit to be enquired about or sought after. om kime namah
736. yat a) He Who takes efforts. b) That Which already exists. c) That from Which everything in this Universe came about. om yate namah
737. tat a) He Who increases (the jnanam and bhakti about Him in the devotees). b) He Who increases the kIrti (fame) of His devotees. c) He Who expands the Universe from its subtle form to its visible form. d) He Who is not seen by senses etc. om tate namah
738. padam anuttamam a) The Supreme Goal. b) The Unexcelled Protector of His devotees. om padaya anuttamAya namah
739. loka-bandhuh a) The Relative of the World. b) One to Whom everything is bound since He is their Support. c) One to Whom everything is related since He is their Best Friend their Father. d) One Who provides instructions as a kinsman on what is right and what is wrong through the SAstra-s. e) One Who limits everything through things such as limited life etc. om loka-bandhave namah
740. loka-nathah a) The Protector of the world. b) He Who bestows aisvaryam on all as a result of His unlimited aiSvaryam. c) He Who is sought after or prayed by all. d) He Who shines in the world, or He Who regulates the world by energizing. e) He Who comforts or blesses the world. f) He Who rules over the world. g) He Who gives troubles as needed to those who need to be disciplined. om loka-nathaya namah
741. madhavah The Consort of Lakshmi. a) The Consort of MA or Lakshmi. b) The Bestower or Propounder of Knowledge about Himself. c) One Who is attained through the madhu vidyA. d) One Who is attained through mauna, dhyAna and yoga. e) One Who is born in the race of madhu, a yAdhava. f) The nAma that reveals the eternal relationship of the Mother and Father with the rest of the Universe. g) One for whom there is no Lord above. om madhavaya namah
742. bhakta-vatsalah a) Affectionate towards the devotees, b) He Who goes to the devotees who makes offerings to Him through yajna, c) He Who takes the devotees to Him, who are dear to Him like a calf to the cow. om bhakta-vatsalaya namah
suvarna-varno hema'ngo vara'ngah candana'ngadI |
vira-ha vishamah sunyo ghrtasir_acalas_calah ||
743. suvarna-varnah - The golden-hued. om suvarna-varnaya namah
744. hema'ngah - He of golden-hued limbs. om hema'ngaya namah
745. vara'ngah - a) He Who displayed His Divine Form to devaki in response to her prayers. b) He Who has beautiful limbs. c) He Who has a lovable Form that is pleasing to those who meditate on Him. om vara'ngaya namah
746. candana'ngadI - He Who is adorned with delightful armlets. b) He Who is besmeared with pleasing sandal. c) He Who provides us all with the means and ways to be happy. d) He Who has a'ngada as His pleasing devotee. om candana'ngadine namah
747. viraha - a) The Slayer of the strong demons. b) The Destroyer of those who indulge in vain arguments and distract others from meditating on Him. c) The Destroyer of the bonds of yama. d) He Who leads the jivas to moksha by showing them the right path. e) He Who provides different ways for His creations to move around. f) He Who is accompanied by Garuda and Vayu when destroying the asura-s. g) He Who ends the various paths that go from birth to birth. om viraghne namah
748. vishamah - a) He of unequal (conflicting) acts towards His devotees vs. His enemies. b) He for Whom there is no equal. c) He Who destroyed the effect of the poison that was consumed by rudra during the churning of the Milk Ocean. om vishamaya namah
749. sunyah - a) He Who is devoid of defects when He takes births as one of us. b) He Who is without any attributes (advaita interpretation). c) He Who goes everywhere, or is present everywhere. d) He Who cleans out everything at the time of pralaya. e) He Who is not accessible when we seek Him through our senses. om sunyaya namah
750. ghrtasIh - a) He Who sprinkles the world with prosperity. b) He Who is desirous of the butter in the gopis' houses. c) He from Whom all desires have flown away. d) He Who enjoys the offering of ghee in the homa etc. om ghrtasishe namah
751. a-calah - a) He Who is unshakable against His enemies. b) He Who is immutable in His nature, power, wisdom, etc. c) He Who does not move anywhere, because He is everywhere already. om acalaya namah
752) calah - a) He Who swerves. b) He Who moves (in the form of vAyu etc.). c) He Who rushed out of SrI vaikunTham at the cry for help from Gajendra. d) He Who is full of leelas. om calaya namah
a-manI manado manyo loka-svamI tri-loka-dhrt |
su-medha medhajo dhanyah satya-medha dhara-dharah ||
753. a-manI - a) He Who is not proud. b) He Who does not mistakenly identify things such as the body with Atman. c) He Who is beyond all measure in all respects. Om a-manine namah.
754. mana-dah - a) He Who honors others. b) He Who confers rewards on His devotees, or denies rewards for the unrighteous (Sa'nkara). c) He Who removes the false understanding of Atman in true seekers, or induces a false sense of Atman in non-seekers (Sa'nkara). d) He Who gives spiritual enlightenment to His devotees. e) He Who gives a measure and dimension to everything in the Universe. Om manadaya namah.
755. manyah The Object of honor. Om manyaya namah.
756. loka-svamI The Master of the Universe. Om loka-svamine namah.
757. tri-loka-dhrt a) He Who supports the three worlds (the worlds above, the worlds below, and earth in the middle). b) The Supporter of the three states of experience (waking, dream and deep sleep). Om tri-loka-dhrte namah.
758. su-medhah The Well-Intentioned. Om su-medhase namah.
759. medha-jah a) He Who was born as a result of a sacrifice. b) He Who is realized as a result of sacrifices. c) He Who makes His presence in the gatherings of bhakta-s. Om medha-jaya namah.
760. dhanyah The Blessed. Om dhanyaya namah.
761. satya-medhah a) He of true thoughts honest, straightforward. b) He of true knowledge with foresight and minuteness. c) He of true knowledge of the Vedas and their numerous branches. Om satya-medhase namah.
762. dharadharah a) He Who supported the Mountain (govardhana). b) He Who supports the earth. Om dharadharaya namah.
tejo-vrsho dyut-dharah sarva-aastra-bhrtam-varah |
pragraho nigraho vyagro naika-srngo gadagrajah ||
763. tejo-vrshah a) He Who showers His splendor on His devotees in the form of His protection. b) He Who showers rain through the sun. c) He Who showers His radiance on everything. d) He Who showers His fierce weapons on His enemies in defense of His devotees. Om tejo-vrshaya namah.
764. dyuti-dharah - He Who possessed a majesty. Om dyuti-dharaya namah.
765. sarva-Sastra-bhrtam-varah The Best among those warriors who are armed with all weapons. Om sarva-sastra-bhrtam-varaya namah.
766. pragrahah The Controller. Om prgrahaya namah.
767. nigrahah a) The Subduer. b) He Who has a firm control over all creation. Om nigrahaya namah.
768. vyagrah a) He Who was very enthusiastic (to destroy the enemies of His devotee during the mahAbhArata war). b) He Who has no end. c) He Who moves around in many different ways. d) (a-vyagrah He Who is not confused dvaita patham). e) He Who uses Garuda as His vehicle. Om vyagraya namah.
769. naika-srngah a) He Who adopted diverse tactics for controlling His devotees enemies. b) He Who can be brought under control (realized) through the four horns in the form of the four veda-s. c) He Who can be controlled (reached) through the Omkara, with its four horns akara, ukara, makara, and nada. d) He Who has the four horns in the form of the four Vedas, to control the world through dharma. e) He Who has many dimensions to His Lordship (prabhutvam). f) He Who has many aspects to His role as a Bestower of His devotees wishes. g) (eka-srngah satya sandha yatiraja) He Who took incarnation as the one-horned Varaha. h) He Who has many rays of effulgence radiating from Him. i) He Who has provided diverse means to the different living beings to cause harm to their enemies, as also to defend themselves from their enemies. Om naika-srngaya namah.
770. gadagrajah - a) The elder brother of gada. b) He Who was born as a result of mantra. c) He Who pervades those who walk and talk (gada + agra + jah). d) The Foremost among those who created sound (in the form of Vedas). e) He Who keeps the brahamana-s healthy (spiritually). Om gadagrajaya namah.
771. catur-murtih He of Four Forms. Om catur-murtaye namah.
772. catur-bahuh The Four-armed. Om catur-bahave namah.
773. catur-vyuhah a) He of the form of four Emanations (vyUha forms). b) He Who had four manifestations in His vibhava form (as krshna, balarama, pradyumna, and aniruddha). c) He Who manifests Himself as purusha, chandah purusha, veda purusha, and maha purusha. d) He Whose Supremacy is established by the four-fold Vedas. e) He Who is in the form of four divisions of speech (three veda-s, and ordinary speech). f) He Who has four kinds of greatness (vyuha = mahima). Om catur-vyuhaya namah.
774. catur-gatih a) He Who is in the form of the four purushartha-s. b) He Who provides the four goals: indra, brahma, kaivalya, and moksha. c) He Who has the four gaits (vrshabha, gaja, vyaghra, and simha gati). d) He Who is the goal of the four varna-s and the four asramas. e) He Who is the Refuge for the four kinds of bhakata-s (arta, jijnasu, artharthI, and jnanI). om catur-gataye namah.
775. catur-atma a) He Who has four forms in His vyUha incarnation. b) He Who has four manifestations in His vibhava incarnations of Krishna and Rama. c) He Who has a four-fold manifestation in His functions of creation, preservation and destruction. d) He Who is skilled in keeping His atma pure from attachment etc. (catura -caturya atma). e) He Who is behind the functions of manas, citta, buddhi, and ahankAra. f) He Who manifests Himself in four forms to support the jiva in its four states - visva, taijasa, prajna, and turiya. g) He Who is the antaryami of the four types of devotees - Arta, artharthi, etc. h) He Who created the fit being - the four-faced brahma (catura = kusala, fit). i) He Who manifest Himself in four kinds of Atmas: jiva, antaratma, paramatma, jnanatma. Om caturatmane namah.
776. catur-bhavah a) He Who gives expression to the four vyuha forms through four kinds of actions. b) The Source of the four varnas, asramas, purursharthas, etc. c) He Who created the four kinds of species. Om catur-bhavaya namah.
777. catur-veda-vit a) He Who is known by those who are learned in the four Vedas. b) He Who is the Knower of the four Vedas. c) He Who makes it possible to know the four Vedas. om catur-veda-vide namah.
778. eka-pat a) He Who manifests only a part of His mahima when He takes incarnations amongst humans. b) He Whose manifestation in the form of this Universe is only one-fourth of Himself. c) He Who is constantly on the look-out as our Sole Protector (ekapo + at). Om eka-pade namah.
samavarto nivrttatma dur-jayo dur-atikramah |
dur-labho dur-gamo durgo duravaso durari-ha ||
779. samavartah a) He Who takes incarnations again and again for the benefit of His devotees. b) He Who performs His function of creation again and again in cycles. c) He Whose true thoughts are always revolving around what He can do to help His devotees. om samavartaya namah.
780. nivrttatma a) He whose Nature is different from, and superior to, everything else (Trascendental Form). b) He whose mind is turned away from worldly attachments. (nara-narayana incarnation). c) He who is the AtmA of those who practice the nivrtti dharma (Bestower of benefits according to karma). d) He whose nature is that He is free from the bonds of samsara, even when He takes His incarnation amongst us (Krshna incarnation). e) He who does not turn away from anything or anywhere because He is Omnipresent. (a-nivrttatmA - Sankara). f) He Who withdraws the jivas into Him during pralaya. g) He Who has permeated everything completely. h) He Who is Himself un-impacted or withdrawn with respect to the effects of pralaya of srshti. i) He whose mind turns away from any feeling of self-glory over His kirti or fame. Om nivrttatmane namah.
781. dur-jayah a) He Who cannot be under control except by devotion. b) He Who is Invincible.
c) He Who makes it possible for us to conquer duhkham. d) He Who can be won over by difficult practices such as samadhi etc. Om dur-jayaya namah.
782. dur-atikramah a) He Who cannot be bypassed by those who seek relief from samsara. b) He Who cannot be transgressed because of fear of the consequences of disobeying Him. c) He for whom all sorrow is bypassed. d) He by transgressing whose orders, sorrow is the result. Om dur-atikramaya namah.
783 dur-labhah - He Who is
difficult to attain for those who are not single-minded in their devotion to
Him. Om dur-labhaya namah.
784 dur-gamah - He Who is difficult to attain because of His Effulgence. b) He Whose True Nature can be known only with difficulty. c) He Who can be known only by the difficult process of enquiry into the Upanishads, etc. Om dur-gamaya namah
785 dur-gah - He Who is separated from us by our avidyA which acts like a fortress between Him and us. b) Nor easily realized because of unanticipated obstacles during our efforts to seek Him. c) He Whose realization is constrained by our own limitations. d) He Who causes pain and suffering to the evil-minded rAkshasa-s. e) He Who is praised by the sAma gAnam which is difficult to master. Om dur-gaya namah
786 dur-avasah - He Whose place of residence (SrI vaikunTham) is not easy to attain. Om dur-avasaya namah.
787. durari-ha a) The Dispeller of the evil-minded enemies. b) The Dispeller of evil thoughts from the minds of the devotees. Om durarighne namah.
Subhango loka-sarangah su-tantuh tantu-vardanah |
Indra-karma maha-karma krta-karma krtagamah ||
788. Subhangah a) He with a bewitching form that mesmerizes the asura-s and misleads them. b) He with an auspicious form that is meditated upon by His true devotees. c) He Who makes the ashtanga yoga successful for those who follow this path with devotion. d) He Who has beautiful gaits. e) He Who pervades everywhere at all times with His auspicious form. f) He Who makes things functional in this Universal in a beautiful way. g) He Who brings the auspicious aspects such as trust in
sastra-s, gurus words, etc., to His devotees.
789. loka-sara'ngah a) He Who preached the superficially acceptable goals in the world. b) He Who grasps the essence of the world like a sara'nga or honeybee. c) He Who is reachable through the essence (sara) of the vedas, namely pranava. d) He Who is the object of devotion (loka-sara). e) He Who is attracted by bhakti. f) He Who bestows moksham, and He to whom the jnani-s are attracted. g) He Who has devotees singing His auspicious qualities. Om loka-sara'ngaya namah.
790. su-tantuh a) He who has a powerful net of threads to capture the asuras and retain them from escaping. b) He Who has expanded this Universe starting from Himself. c) He Who has progeny such as brahmA. d) He Who expanded the yadava race in auspicious way by being born as the son of vasudeva. Om su-tantave namah.
791. tantu-vardhanah a) He Who increases the meshes. b) He Who augments the expansion of Himself into this world, by protecting it. c) He Who withdraws this world into Himself after creating it. d) He Who expanded the Vasudeva family through pradyumna and others. Om tantu-vardhanaya namah
792. indra-karma a) He Who did all this for the sake of Indra. b) He Who is responsible for the powers of indra. c) He Who performs acts that reflect His Supreme Lordship. Om indra-karmane namah.
793. mahA-karma He of magnanimous actions. Om maha-karmane namah.
794. krta-karma a) He Who practiced the acts He preached to the asura-s, in order to convince them. b) One Who has achieved all there is to achieve. c) One Who keeps repeating the processes of creation etc., with perfection. d) One Who has performed acts that no one else can ever perform. om krta-karmaNe namah.
udbhavah sundarah sundo ratna-nabhah su-locanah |
arko vaja-sanih sr'ngI jayantah sarva-vij-jayI ||
796. udbhavah a) He Who rose above samsara. b) He Who is of a superior birth, taking birth as He likes, where He likes, when He likes. c) He from Whom everything originated. d) He Who resides in an exalted place ( SrI vaikunTham). e) He Who created the exalted gods and goddesses. f) He Who is born again and again for the protection of dharma. om udbhavaya namah
797. sundarah a) He Who is handsome. b) He Who has the beautiful conch pa'ncajanyam. c) He Who killed sunda through upasunda (sunda-rah). d) He Who is exceedingly well regarded and worshipped. e) He Who has separated or divided the different creatures well in many ways. Om sundaraya namah.
798. sundah a) He Who presents Himself as a very soft person to the asura-s in order to convince them to follow His deceitful methods. b) He Who is soft to His devotees. c) He Who bestows joy and happiness on His devotees. Om sundaya namah.
799. ratna-nabhah a) He with a gem-like navel. b) He Who has the navel from which the gem among men brahma originated. c) He Who destroys the asuras (aratna-nAbhah). d) He Who has ratna in His navel - in the form of ratna-s in the oceans. Om ratna-nabhaya namah.
800. su-locanah a) One with bewitching eyes. b) He of superior wisdom. c) One Who has the wisdom and the vision of the Self. d) He Who gives everyone else the ability to see. om su-locanaya namah.
801. arkah a) He Who is praised. b) He Who is in the form of the sun. Om arkaya namah.
802. vaja-sanih a) He Who advocated eating a lot (a Preacher of mundane pleasures, like eating). b) He Who provides for the nourishment of all His creation. Om vaja-sanaye namah.
803. sr'ngi a) He Who appears like one having a horn (with a bunch of peacock feathers in his hand). b) He Who had a horn in His matsya and varAha incarnations. c) He With the peak of Govardhana mountain on His hand. d) He Who has provided every creature with the means to express its sr'nga or expression of power. e) He Who destroys the fear of birth in His devotees. Om sr'ngine namah.
804. jayantah The Conquerer. Om jayantaya namah.
805. sarva-vij-jayI a) The Conqueror of those who had learnt all things. b) He Who is Omniscient and Victorious. c) He Who had won over the hearts of the all-knowing sages. Om sarva-vij-jayine namah.
suvarnabindurakshobhyah sarvavagisvaresvarah |
mahahrado mahagarto mahabhuto mahanidhih ||
806. suvarna-binduh a) He Who concealed the truth of the vedic path from the asura-s with sweet words. b) He Who has a beautiful form with golden-colored beautiful limbs. c) He Who is in the form of the auspicious praNava mantra. d) He Who has a beautiful form, and Who has beautifully divided the creatures of the universe into their various parts. e) The Knower of the veda-s consisting of auspicious letters. f) He Who has the beautiful golden-colored sandalwood marks on His forehead, cheeks, etc. Om suvarna-bindave namah.
807 - a-kshobhyah - He who is unshaken by desire. Om akshobhyaya namah.
808. sarva-vag-isvara-isvarah The Lord of all who have a mastery over all words. Om sarva-vag-isvara-isvaraya namah.
809. maha-hradah a) The Vast Lake in which the sinners drown never to rise again, and the devotees dip again and again to get relief. b) He Who is associated with the deep waters, as in kAlIya mardanam, or in His reclining on the Milk Ocean. c) He Who has created the great oceans so that the earth does not become completely dry and perish. Om maha-hradaya anamah.
810. maha-gartah a) He Who pushes the great sinners into the great pit of samsAra. b) The Great Charioteer of mahabharata fame. c) The One with the Great Chariot (with the Garuda in its flag). d) He Who resides in the great mountains such as Seshacala. e) The Great Pit in which everything in this Universe originates, resides, and merges back. Om maha-gartaya namah.
811. maha-bhutah a) He Who considers great men as His own. b) He Who is a Great Being. c) He Who is the Origin of the five elements. Om maha-bhutaya namah.
812. maha-nidhih a) He Who has the great treasure in the form of His devotees. b) He Who is a great treasure for His devotees. c) He Who is the Abode of everything in the Universe. d) He Who is like a treasure from which His devotees can draw at will. Om maha-nidhaye namah.
kumudah kundarah kundah parjanyah pavano'nilah |
amrtaso'mrta-vapuh sarva~jnah sarvato-mukhah ||
813. kumudah - a) He Who is on this earth with delight by enjoying the association with His devotees. b) One Who gladdens the earth by ridding it of the evil-doers. c) One Who bestows the auspicious world of parama padam. d) One Who delights in the sky, in the form of the sun. e) He Who wears a garland made of blue lilies. Om kumudaya namah.
814. kundarah a) The Bestower of the knowledge of the Supreme Reality (kunda-rah). b) He Who dissolves or eliminates the sins accumulated over countless births (kun-darah). c) He Who bestows benefits as agreeable as the kunda flower (kunda-rah). d) He Who accepts offering that are pure like the kunda flowers (kunda-lah). e) He Who pierced the earth in His varAha incarnation in search of hiranyaksha (kum-darah). f) One Who gives what is sought or what is desired. g) He Who created the oceans by tearing apart the earth (kum-darah). h) He Who is very pleased with the offerings of the kunda pushpa-s by His devotees (kunda-rah). Om kundaraya namah.
815. kundah - a) He Who grants the successive stages of higher knowledge. b) He Who cleanses the sins of His devotees. c) He Who is pure and beautiful like the kunda (jasmine) flower. d) He Who bestows purity like the kunda flower to His devotees. e) He Who has the spear by name kunta (kuntah). f) One who is sharp like the kunta spear in removing the sins of His devotees (kuntah). g) He Who gave an offering of the earth to kasyapa rshi. h) He Who eliminated the bad kshatriya kings from the earth. i) He Who cleanses the earth through the sun, rain, etc. Om kundaya namah.
816. parjanyah a) He Who bestows His blessings on the devotees like the rain-cloud. b) He from whom a superior birth is attained. c) He Who protects. Om parjanyaya namah.
817. pavanah a) He Who is the forrn of the wind. b) He Who moves to His devotees to remove their distress. c) He Who purifies in the form of wind, agni, water, etc. d) He Who protects the protectors the kings (pA + avanah). Om pavanaya namah.
818. anilah a) He Who need not be goaded by anyone in His blessing the devotees (an-ilah). b) He Who has no enforcer above Him. c) He Who is easily accessible to His devotees (a-nilah). d) He Who is the Giver of life-breath to everything else. e) He Who is ever awakened. f) One Who needs no support. g) One Who does not have a fixed residence, One Who is in the form of the wind, etc. h) He Who has no end. i) One Who has no binding to papa, punya, etc. j) He Who gave the kingdom (to ugrasena after killing kamsa). k) He Who spent sleepless nights (planning how to save rukmini). om anilaya namah.
819. amrtasah a) He Who feeds His devotees with the Nectar - Himself. b) He Who consumed the nectar after churning the Milk Ocean. c) One Who has an ever-living will to give fruits. d) One Whose wishes are failure-proof. e) One Who is dear to the mukta-s. f) One Who provides unending means of survival for His creation. Om amrtasaya namah.
820. amrta-vapuh a) He of a Nectar-like body. b) He Who has an immortal form. c) He Who sows and cuts the lives of this Universe continuously irrespective of time. Om amrta-vapushe namah.
821. sarvaj~nah - a) He Who knows all. b) He Who knows all the needs of all His devotees. Om sarvajnaya namah.
822. sarvato-mukhah a) He Who can be approached from many paths. b) He Who has faces on all sides. Om sarvato-mukhaya namah.
sulabhah su-vratah siddhah Satru-jit Satru-tapanah |
nyag-rodhodumbaro'Svatthah canurandhra-nishudanah ||
823. su-labhah a) He Who can be easily attained. b) He Who makes it possible to attain sukham (sukham labhata). Om su-labhaya namah.
824. su-vratah a) He Who has taken a good, strong vow. b) He Who accepts only the pure food that is offered with sincerity by His selfless devotees. c) He Who controlled what He consumed appropriately in His nara-narayana incarnation. d) He Who controls everything in this universe and keeps them in order. e) He Who observed all the vrata-s rigorously in His Krishna incarnation, even though He was the Supreme Soul. Om su-vrataya namah.
825. siddhah a) He Whose protection is ever available without any special effort on the part of His devotees. b) He Who is the siddhopaya the already existing means - for attaining moksham. c) He Who is fully accomplished, without dependence on anyone or anything else. d) He Who makes His devotees accomplished in their tapas and other efforts to attain Him. e) He Who gave us the Sastras, or He Who bestows auspiciousness on us. f) The final conclusion the Ultimate Truth through all means of proof available to us. g) He Who accomplishes all His undertakings flawlessly to completion and perfection. om siddhaya namah.
826. Satru-jit-satru-tapanah - He Who occupies the bodies of Satru- jits to torment His devotees' enemies. Om satru-jit-satru-tapanaya namah.
827. nyag-rodhodumbarah He Who has the Supreme Abode with Lakshmi and everything that is magnificent, but Who is at the command of the devotees who approach Him with folded hands. a) He Who has the most auspicious SrI vaikuntham as His own. b) He Who is `above the sky', i.e., superior to all. c) He Who nourishes the world in the form of food etc. d) One Who has the best of sounds the veda-s, as His form. e) He Who is praised by the highest and best of sounds - bhajans, nama-sankirtanas etc. f) He Who has the superior pitambaram as His garment (ud- ambarah). om nyagrodhodumbaraya namah.
828. asvattah a) He Who has established the impermanent gods for performing various functions. b) He Who is described as the root of an eternal asvattha tree of samsara etc. c) He Who eternally rules over the universe that is never the same, and keeps constantly changing. d) He Who pervades the entire universe in the form of the five great elements. om asvattaya namah.
829. canurandhra-nishudanah a) He Who slew the wrestler by name canura. b) He Who causes utmost misery to those who cause hardship to the good people of sattvik disposition. c) He Who slew canura, duryodhana and the like. Om canurandhara-nishudanaya namah.
sahasrarcih sapta-jihvah saptaidhah sapta-vahanah |
a-murtir_anagho'cintyo bhaya-krt bhaya-nasanah ||
830. sahasrarcih - a) The Thousand-rayed, Who illumines everything in this Universe. b) He Whose tirumeni radiates with kanti that resembles infinite number or rays emanating from Him. Om sahasrarcishe namah.
831. sapta-jihvah - The seven-tongued. Om sapta-jihvaya namah.
832. saptaidhah - One Who is kindled in the form of fire by the seven kinds of offerings. Om saptaidhase namah.
833. sapta-vahanah - a) He Who has seven vehicles in the form of the seven Vedic mantra-s represented by the seven horses of the Sun. b) He Who supports the Universe in the form of the seven Sun-s. c) He Who supports the three worlds through the seven vayu-mandala-s or regions of air. d) He Who has a vehicle with its horse named sapta. e) He Who protects the beings through facilities that has provided in units of seven seven types of fluids in our system, seven holes in our face as sense organs, the seven objects of these sense-organs, etc. f) He Who conducts the seven worlds with prosperity. Om sapta-vahanaya namah.
834. a-murtih - a) He Who does not have a body that is the effect of karma similar to ours. b) He Who is signified by the letter `a' in pranavam. om a-murtaye namah
835. an-aghah - a) The Sinless. b) He Who is opposed to sin. c) He Who is of blemishless character. d) He Who does not suffer sorrow. Om anaghaya namah.
836. a-cintyah a) He Who is incomparable to anything known. b) He Whose power cannot be imagined. c) He Who cannot be completely comprehended in our minds. Om a-cintyaya namah.
837. bhya-krt He Who causes fear. Om bhaya-krte namah.
838. bhaya-nasanah He Who destroys fear. Om bhaya-nasanaya namah.
anur_brhat_krsas_sthulo guna-bhrn_nir-guno mahan |
adhrtah sva-dhrtah svasyah prag-vamso vamsa-vardhanah || 90
839. anuh - a) He Who has the power of being smaller than anything small that is known to us. b) He Who is the cause of the sound that permeates everywhere and is in everything (ana - Sabde). c) He Who is in the form of the Vedas, or He Who reveals the Vedas, the Sastras, etc. (ana - sabde). Om anave namah.
840. brhat - The Great. Om brhate namah.
843. guna-bhrt a) The Supporter of all that are subject to Him. b) He Who supports the three guNa-s of sattva, rajas, and tamas. c) He Who bears (has) infinite kalyana guna-s. Om guna-bhrte namah.
844. nir-gunah He Who is bereft of the qualities (common to others). Om nir-gunaya namah.
845. mahan a) He Who is supreme in everything. b) He Who is Great beyond comprehension. c) He Who is worthy of worship, and worshiped by the likes of Indra. Om mahate namah.
846. a-dhrtah a) The Unconstrained. b) The Unsustained. Om a-dhrtaya namah.
847. sva-dhrtah - He Who is Self-sustained and superior over the baddha-s who may have some of the same ashTa aiSvarya-s that we saw above, through meditation , prayer, etc. Om svadhrtaya namah
848. svasyah - He Who has a glorious status and is superior over the mukta-s, who have a status equivalent to Him in many respects, but who were once clouded by nescience. Om svasyaya namah
849. prag-vamsah - He Who is the cause of the eternally free souls and is superior over the nitya-s, the eternal souls in Sri Vaikuntham, since He is their origin, source and eternal support. Om prag-vamsaya namah
850. vamsa-vardhanah - He Who keeps His progeny growing, bhagavan, the One who fosters and grows all the three categories of jIva-s. Om vamsa-vardhanaya namah.
bhara-bhrt kathito yogi yogisah sarva-kama-dah |
asramah sramanah kshamah suparno vayu-vahanah ||
851. bhara-bhrt He Who shoulders the burden. Om bhara-bhrte namah.
852. kathitah He Whose greatness is extolled by all the Vedas, Puranas, etc. om kathitaya namah.
853. yogI a) He Who is endowed with super-human powers. b) He Who is realized through yogic powers. c) He Who bonds everything together. d) He Who has total control of His Self. e) He Who unites the devotees with their wishes i.e., He Who bestows the devotees' wishes. Om yogine namah.
854. yogisah - He Who is the foremost Lord of all yogins. Om yogisaya namah.
855. sarva-kama-dah - He Who bestows all desires. Om sarva-kama-daya namah.
856. asramah - He Who provides an abode of rest for the seekers. Om asramaya namah.
857. Sramanah - a) He Who makes it possible to continue the effort of uncompleted yoga in the next birth. b) He Who torments those who have not exercised their discriminating ability. c) He Who undertook tapas in the form of Nara Narayana for the welfare of the world. d) He Who is the source of subsistence for sanyAsin-s. e) Subject matter of, and known by, hymns of praise. Om Sramanaya namah
858. ksamah - a) One Who is in a diminished form (in the form of
Dhruva, the Pole Star). b) He Who helps the yogi to become well-equipped. c) He Who alone is left behind at the time of pralaya. d) He Who reduces everything to its un-evolved state at the time of pralaya. e) He Who remains hidden amongst us, and he in Whom everything is hidden. f) He Who is the final abode for all (kshayati). g) He Who has established the Universe in all its dimensions (ksha + mane). h) He Who restrains and controls those of demonic disposition (ksha + mavate). i) He Who bore the Earth (in His varAha incarnation).
j) Remover of obstructions in the path of cows (ksham + ama). k) He Who endures patiently. Om kshamaya namah.
859. suparnah - a) One Who has beautiful wings in the form of hamsa, Garuda, etc. b) He Who helps the yogi-s cross the ocean of samsara. c) He Who enables everything to move around. d) He Who is in the form of the Vedas (as the leaves of the tree of samsara). e) One Who is decorated with the beautiful green tulasi leaves. f) One Who has the green color of emerald because of His association with Lakshmi. g) One Who is easily pleased by pure devotion. h) He Who is the Abode of Supreme Happiness (su-par-Nah). i) He Who rests on the beautiful tender green fig-tree leaf (at the time of prlaya). j) He Who pervades the entire Universe completely. k) He Who has suparna Garuda as His vahana. Om suparnaya namah.
860. vayu-vahanah - a) He Who makes the wind flow for the benefit of sustaining life. b) He Who lifts up the fallen with the swiftness of air with the help of Garuda. c) He Who had "The Vayu - Hanuman" as His vehicle during His Rama incarnation. Om vayu-vahanaya namah.
dhanur-dharo dhanur-vedo dando damayita'damah |
a-parajitah sarva-saho niyanta niyamo yamah ||
861. dhanur-dharah - The wielder of the bow. Om dhanur-dharaya namah.
862. dhanur-vedah a) The Propounder of the science of archery. b) The Knower of the Science of archery in its completeness (a reference to Lord Rama). c) One Who has given the means of self-protection (dhanush) to all His creation. d) One Who has propounded meditation on "OM" as the sure means of Self realization. Om dhanur-vedaya namah.
863. dandah a) The source of punishment for the wicked. b) He Who is verily the weapon (power) of yama - the danda. c) He Whom no one else controls (a-dandah). d) He Who is the source of restraint for all beings so that they follow dharma. Om dandaya namah.
864. damayita a) The Subduer (of the enemies of His devotees). b) The Dispeller (of the miseries and sufferings of His devotees). Om damayitre namah.
865. a-damah a) He Who is not subdued by anyone. b) He Who is in the form of the good effects of punishment to those who err. c) He Who is the means of control. d) He Who controls everything. e) He Who bestows all wishes to His devotees. Om a-damaya namah.
866. a-parajitah a) He Who is invincible. b) He Who has no protector above Him, and Who is Resplendent (a-pah + rajitah). c) He Whose Powers do not perish or diminish over time. Om a-parajitaya namah.
867. sarva-sahah a) The Supporter of all the other deities. b) He Who conquers all His enemies. c) He Who is competent in all His actions. d) He Who forgives the aparadha-s of everyone. om sarva-sahaya namah
868. niyanta a) He Who directs. b) One Who has no one above Him to direct and control Him (a- niyanta). om niyantre namah
869. niyamah a) He Who controls. b) He Who ordains. c) He Who is attained through the yogic path of niyama (and yama). d) He Who has no Controller or Director above Him (a- niyamah). e) He Who bestows sacred knowledge about Himself to devotees in full measure. f) He Who pervades and surrounds everything (yama - pariveshane - to surround). Om niyamaya namah.
870. yamah - a) The Controller (of all the deva-s). b) He Who is attained through the yogic path of yama (and niyama). c) He Who is beyond yama or mrityu (a-yamah). d) One Who has no one to command Him (a-yamah). e) One Who brings to end all life at the time of pralaya. f) One Who feeds His devotees with delectable food in the form of anubhavam of Himself. g) One Who knows and prescribes the mandates that bestow virtue (aya+mah). Om yamaya namah.
sattva-van sattvikah satyah satya-dahrma-parayanah |
abhiprayah priyarho_'rhah priya-krt prIti-vardhanah ||
871. sattva-van - a) He Who controls the sattva guna that paves the way for liberation. b) One Who possesses courage, strength etc. c) One Who is determined to bestow His blessings on His devotees. Om sattva-vate namah.
872. sattvikah a) He Who confers the fruits of sattva guna. b) One Who is essentially established in sattva guNa. Om sattvikaya namah.
873. satyah a) One Who is well-disposed towards pious souls. b) One Who is good in a supreme way. c) He Who is established in Truth. d) He Who is Real, and who alone exists ( Sri Sankara). e) He Who is in the form of prana, anna, and surya. Om satyaya namah.
874. satya-dharma-parayanah a) He Who is pleased with the true dharma practiced by His devotees. b) He Who is ever devoted to, and established in, Truth and in righteousness. c) He Who provides the support to, and Who shows the path for, those who follow the superior path of dharma. d) Refuge of devotees such as yadu, turvasa, etc., who take interest in discharging virtuous duties. Om satya-dharma-parayanaya namah.
875. abhiprayah a) He Who is the object of choice. b) He to Whom all beings go (praiti) directly (abhi) during pralaya. c) He Who exclusively directs the activities of all others. Om abhiprayaya namah.
876. priyarhah a) He Who is rightly the object of love. b) He Who deserves to be offered our most beloved offerings. Om priyarhaya namah.
877. arhah - The fitting Lord to be worshipped. Om arhaya namah.
878. priya-krt He Who does what is wanted by others. om priya-krte namah.
879. prIti-vardhanah - a) Who increases the joy of His devotees. b) He Who fulfills the love of His devotees. Om prIti-vardhanaya namah.
ravir_iorocanah suryah savita ravi-locanah ||
880. vihayasa-gatih a) He Who is the means for the attainment of paramapadam. b) He Who travels in the form of the Sun. c) He Who travels in space through His vehicle
Garuda- the King of birds. d) He Who is attained by tapasvins through their tapas (ha - tyage - to abandon). Om vihayasa-gataye namah.
881. jyotih a) The Light that leads to Sri Vaikuntham. b) The Light that is self-luminous. c) The Light that illuminates the Sun, the moon etc. Om jyotishe namah.
882. su-rucih a) He of lovely effulgence - The Day time. b) One Who has the good desire or Will to protect the world. c) He Who is the cause of all the effulgence in everything. d) He Who has intense attachment to His devotees. Om su-rucaye enamah.
883. huta-bhug-vibhuh He that is the Bright Fortnight of the Moon. Om huta-bhug-vibhave namah.
884. ravih a) The Sun in his uttarayana or Summer solstice. b) He Who is responsible for the ability of all cetana-s and acetana-s to make sound. c) He Who is praised by His devotees. Om ravaye namah.
885. virocanah a) The Illuminant (the year). b) He of various splendors - such as Sun, moon, day, night, etc. c) He Who shines in the minds of His devotees in various special ways. d) He Who gave special sight (divya cakshus) to arjuna, sa'njaya etc. (vi-locanah). om virocanaya namaH.
886. suryah a) The source of movement in the form of wind. b) He Who brings forth everything, or He Who brings forth wealth. c) One who generates Sri or brilliance in surya or agni (sacred fire). d) He because of Whom we get enlightenment. Om suryaya namah.
887. savita a) He Who produces or brings forth the crops etc., in the form of the Sun. b) He Who brings forth everything in the Universe (including the sun etc.). om savitre namah.
888. ravi-locanah a) He Who illuminates (through the rays of the sun). b) He that has the Sun for His eye. c) He from Whose eyes the Sun was born. d) He Who is fond of praise. om ravi-locanaya namah.
ananta-huta-bhug-bhokta sukha-do naikado-'grajah |
a-nirvinnah sadamarshI lokadhishthanam_adbhutah ||
889. ananta-huta-bhug-bhokta a) He Who is indra and brahmA of immeasurable greatness. b) He Who is endless, and Who consumes the offerings through fire. om ananta-huta-bhug-bhoktre namah.
890. sukha-dah a) The Giver of Bliss to His devotees. b) The Remover of happiness for the wicked. c) The Remover of tiny pleasures from His devotees (dyati - cuts) so that they can seek the Higher Bliss. d) The Remover of unhappiness for His devotees (a- sukha-dah; dyati - cuts). e) He Who is the source of water for all beings (sukham = udakam = water). f) He Who has given a beautiful body to the jivas. Om sukha-dAya namah.
891. naika-dah a) The Giver of many things (Literally, The Giver of Not just one thing). b) He Who is not `born' just once, but many times (naika-jaH). Om naika-dAya namaH.
892. agra-jah - He Who manifests in front of the mukta-s. om agra-jAya namaH.
893. a-nir-vinnah - a) He Who is not despondent that the jIva-s are not resorting to Him for redemption. b ) He Who is relieved of worry after having liberated a jIva who becomes a mukta. c) He Who is not depressed because He has nothing to wish for. d) He Who is not tired of fulfilling the wishes of His devotees. om a-nir-viNNAya namaH.
894. sada-marshI a) He Who is ever patient (sada_marshI). b) He Who is patient towards the mistakes of good people (sat +A+marshI). c) He Who is extremely impatient with the wicked people (sada + amarshI). Om sada-marshine namah.
895. lokadhishthanam - The Support of all the worlds. Om lokadhishthanaya namah.
896. adbhutah a) He Who is extremely wonderful. b) He Who makes appearances occasionally amongst us. c) He because of Whom grains, food etc. exist (Adyam = grains). om adbhutaya namah.
sanat sanatana-tamah kapilah kapir_avyayah |
svasti-dah sasti-krt svasti svasti-bhuk svasti-dakshinah ||
897. sanat a) The Object of enjoyment. b) He Who is in the form of Time. c) He Who is Eternal, Immutable, and always of the same beautiful Form. om sanate namah.
898. sanatana-tamah - The Most Ancient. om sanatana-tamaya namah.
899. kapilah - He Who is of beautiful complexion. Om kapilaya namah.
900. kapir-avyayah - He Who enjoys the never-diminishing Bliss. om kapaye-avyayaya namah.
901. svasti-dah - The Giver of Auspiciousness. om svasti-daya namah.
902. svasti-krt - The Doer of good to the devotees. om svasti-krte namah.
903. svasti - He Who is Auspiciousness. om svastine namah.
904. svasti-bhuk - a) The Protector of all that is auspicious. b) The Enjoyer of Bliss. c) He Who enables His devotees to enjoy bliss. om svasti-bhuje namah.
905. svasti-dakshinah He Who gives auspicious things as dakshina to His devotees. om svasti-dakshinaya namh.
a-raudrah kundali cakrI vikram_yurjita-sasanah |
sabdatigah sabda-sahah sisirah sarvikarah ||
906. a-raudrah - He Who is not driven to anger easily. om a-raudraya namaH.
907. kundali - He Who is bedecked with beautiful ear-rings. om kundaline namah.
908. cakrI - One with the Discus in His arm. om cakrine namah.
909. vikrami - a) He Who has prowess. b) He with the characteristic stride (in His tri- vikrama incarnation). c) He Who has no difference in His different incarnations. d) He Who has a distinguishing role - that of protection. om vikramine namah.
910. urjita-sasanah - He of inviolable commands. om urjita-sasanaya namah.
911. sabdatigah - He Who is beyond words. om sabdatigaya namah.
912. sabda-sahah - He Who shoulders the burden of the words of cry of distress. om sabda-sahaya namah.
913. sisirah - He Who rushed to render help. om sisiraya namah.
914. sarvari-karah - a) He Who had the destructive weapons in His hands. b) The Maker of `night' - in the form of samsara. c) The maker of night - the time for rest. d) He Who is in the form of the cool rays of the moon in the nights. e) He Who causes destruction of His enemies. om sarvari-karaya namah.
a-kruraH pesalo daksho dakshinah kshaminam-varah |
vidvat-tamo vita-bhayah punya-sravana-kirtanah ||
915. a-krurah - He Who was not cruel (while rescuing gajendra). om a-kruraya namah.
916. pesalah - a) He Who is charming. b) One Who is supremely soft. om pesalaya namah.
917. dakshah a) He Who removes evil elements very quickly (daksh sighrarthe). b1) He Who came to the rescue of gajendra very fast (daksh sighrarthe). b2) He Who had the Sakti power, to arrive very fast at the scene of Gajendras suffering. c) He Who grows into, or manifests Himself as, the Universe (daksh to grow). d) He Who is deft in His creation, sustenance and destruction (daksha dexterous). e) He Who destroys His enemies (daksh himsanayoh). om dakshaya namah.
918. dakshinah - a) He Who is pleasing and amiable. b) He Who pervades everywhere. c) He Who destroys everything (at the time of pralaya). d) He Who is very liberal, charitable, and kind. om dakshinaya namah.
919. kshaminam-varah - a) The foremost in bearing the burden of protection of His devotees. b) The Foremost among those who bear the burden of the Universes. om kshaminam-varaya namah.
920. vidvat-tamah The Best among those who know what to do. om vidvat-tamaya namah.
921. vIta-bhayah - a) He because of Whom fear is dispelled. b) He Who is devoid of fear. om vIta-bhayaya namah.
922. punya-sravana-kIrtanah - He Whose nama sravanam and kirtanam are purifying. om punya-sravana-kirtanaya namah.
uttarano dushkrti-ha punyo duh-svapna-nasanah |
vira-ha rakshanah santo jivanah paryavasthitah ||
923. uttaranah - He Who lifts up. om uttaranaya namah.
924. dushkrti-ha - a) He Who slays the evil-doers. b) He Who destroys the sins of those who surrender to Him. om dushkrti-ghne namah.
925. punyah - The Purifier. om punyaya namah.
926. dus_svapna-nasanah - The Remover of evil dreams. om dus-svapna-nasanaya namah.
927. vIra-ha - He Who destroyed the powerful bonds that tied Gajendra to death. om vira-ghne namah.
928. rakshanah - The Savior. om rakshanaya namah.
929. santah - a) He Who makes those who have sought refuge in Him prosper. b) He Who exists for His devotees. c) He Who bestows the desired benefits on His devotees. d) He Who manifests Himself in the form of holy men. e) He Who is present everywhere and permeates everything. f) He Who is worshipped. g) He Who expands the world in a controlled way. om santaya namah.
930. jivanah - The Life-Giver. om jivanaya namah.
931. paryavasthitah - He Who stands beside. om paryavasthitaya namah.
ananta-rupo_'nanta-srih jita-manyur_bhayapahah |
catur-asro gabhiratma vidiso vyadiso disah ||
932. ananta-rupah a) He of infinite Forms. b) He of unending (never decaying) form. c) He of indescribable form extending infinitely in all directions. om ananta-rupaya namah.
933. ananta-srih a) He of infinite wealth, glory, power, etc. b) He of wealth, glory, power etc., that will never diminish. om ananta-sriye namah.
934. jita-manyuh He Who has conquered His anger. om jita-manyave namah.
935. bayapahah He Who destroys the fear (of samsara) in the mind of the devotee. om bhayapahaya namah.
936. catur-asrah a) One Who is skilled in all aspects. b) One Who is fair to everybody. c) One from whom wishes are asked for. d) One Who pervades in all four directions. e) One Who nourishes and feeds everything in all four directions f) One Who is worshipped by the knowledgeable people. om caturasraya namah.
937. gabhiratma He of deep and profound nature. om gabhiratmane namah.
938. vidisah a) One Whose nature, forms, and qualities are spread out in all directions. b) One Who can be reached from all directions. c) He Who bestows all benefits on His devotees. d) He Who pervades everywhere, and is in everything, in all directions. e) He Who is the cause of happiness for the knowers (of Brahman) based on vid to know. f) He Who has revealed all sastras in elaborate detail. om vidisaya namah.
939. vyadisah a) He Who appoints the different gods in their respective positions. b) He Who bestows different benefits on devotees based on their karma-s. c) He Who gives directions to the different gods as appropriate. om vyadisaya namah.
940. disah He Who commands. om disaya namah.
anadir_bhur-bhuvo lakshmih su-viro rucira'ngadah |
janano jana-janmadir_bhimo bhima-parakramah ||
941. anadih a) He Who is not realized by many because of their ignorance etc. b) He Who has no beginning. om anadaye namah.
942. bhur-bhuvah a) He Who is the abode of those who really live (by realizing their relation to the Lord). b) He Who supports that which supports all (namely, the earth). c) He Who exists in Himself (with no other support). d) He Who is the Source of all knowledge. om bhuvo-bhuve namah.
943. lakshmih The Wealth. om lakshmyai namah.
944. suviro - om su-viraya namah.
945. rucira'ngadah a) He Who bestows His lovely form for His devotees to enjoy. b) He Who gives a beautiful body to those who are devoted (e.g., to the hunch-backed woman). c) He Who is adorned with beautiful shoulder ornaments (angadas). d) He Who has given elegant means for all creatures to move about. om rucira'ngadaya namah.
946. jananah The Creator. om jananaya namah.947. jana-janmadih a) He Who is the root cause of all beings. b) He Who is the ultimate goal of all beings. om jana-janmadaye namah. 948. bhimah He Who is frightful to those who do not follow dharma. om bhimaya namah.
949. bhima-parakramya - om bhima-parakramaya namah.
aadhaaranilayo-adhaata pushpahaasah prajaagarah
oordhvagah satpathaachaarah praanadah pranavah panah.
950. aadhaaranilayah - He that is the receptacle and abode of the five primal elements
951. adhaata - He that gulps down His throat all creatures at the time of the universal dissolution
952. pushpahaasah - He whose smile is as agreeable as the sight of flowers; (or, He who laughs in the form of flowers)
953. prajaagarah - He that is always wakeful
954. oordhvagah - He that stays at the head of all creatures
955. satpathaachaarah - He whose conduct consists of those acts which the righteous do
956. praanadah - He that revives the dead (as in the case of Parikshit and others)
957. pranavah - He that is the initial syllable Om
958. panah - He that has ordained all righteous acts
pramaanam praananilayah praanabhrit praanajeevanah
tattvam tattvavidekaatmaa janmamrityujaraatigah.
959.pramaanam - He that displays the truth about the Supreme Soul
960.praananilayah - He that is the abode of the five life-breaths and the senses
961.praana-bhrit - He that is the food that supports the life of living creatures
962.praana-jeevanah - He that causes all living creatures to live with the aid of the life-breath called Prana
963.tattvam - He that is the great topic of every system of philosophy
964.tattvavid - He who has fully realized the Reality (the original essential nature of the Self, which is His own Nature Divine)
965.ekaatmaa - He that is the One Soul of the universe
966.janma-mrityu-jaraa-atigah - He that transcends birth, decrepitude, and death
svastarustaarah savitaa prapitaamahah
yagno yagnapatiryajvaa yagnaango yagnavaahanah.
967. bhoor-bhuvah-svas-taruh - He that rescues the universe in consequence of the sacred syllable Bhuh, Bhuvah, Swah, and the others with which Homa offerings are made
968. taarah - He that is the great Rescuer
969. savitaa - He that is the Sire of all
970. pra-pitaamahah - He that is the Sire of even the Grandsire (Brahma)
971. yagnah - He that is of the form of Sacrifice
972. yagna-patih - He that is the Lord of all sacrifices (being the great deity that is adored in them)
973. yajvaa - He that is the sacrificer
974. yagnaangah - He that has sacrifices for his limbs
- He that upholds
yagnabhrid yagnakrid yagnee yagnabhug
yagnaantakrid yagnaguhyamannamannaada eva cha.
devakeenandanah srashtaa kshiteeshah paapanaashanah
that is Himself the cause of His existence 986.
that is self-born 987.
that penetrated through the solid earth (and repairing to the nether regions
slew Hiranyaksha and others) 988.
that sings the Samans 989.
that is the delighter of Devaki 990.
that is the creator of all 991.
that is the Lord of the earth 992.
that is the destroyer of the sins of His worshippers
985. aatma-yonih - He that is Himself the cause of His existence
986. svayam-jaatah - He that is self-born
987. vai-khaanah - He that penetrated through the solid earth (and repairing to the nether regions slew Hiranyaksha and others)
988. saama-gaayanah - He that sings the Samans
989. devakee-nandanah - He that is the delighter of Devaki
990. srashtaa - He that is the creator of all
991. kshiteeshah - He that is the Lord of the earth
992. srashtaa - He that is the destroyer of the sins of His worshippers
sankhabhrin nandakee chakree shaarngadhanvaa gadaadharah
He that bears the
conch (Panchajanya) in His hands
that bears the sword of knowledge and illusion
that sets the cycle of the Yugas to revolve ceaselessly
that invests Himself with consciousness and senses
that is endued with the mace of the most solid understanding
that is armed with a car-wheel (One who has the wheel of the chariot as His
He that is incapable
of being agitated
that is armed with all kinds of weapons
sankhabhrin nandakee chakree shaarngadhanvaa gadaadharah
993. Sankha-bhrit - He that bears the conch (Panchajanya) in His hands
994. nandakee - He that bears the sword of knowledge and illusion
995. chakree - He that sets the cycle of the Yugas to revolve ceaselessly
996. shaarnga-dhanvaa - He that invests Himself with consciousness and senses
997. gadaa-dharah - He that is endued with the mace of the most solid understanding
998. Rathaanga-paanir - He that is armed with a car-wheel (One who has the wheel of the chariot as His weapon)
999. akshobhyah - He that is incapable of being agitated
1000. sarva-praharanaayudhah - He that is armed with all kinds of weapons
( Sree) Sarva-praharanaayudhah Om Namah iti
Om namah iti = Om, salutations to Him!
( Sree) Sarva-praharanaayudhah Om Namah iti
Sree) Sarva-praharanaayudhah Om Namah iti
Om namah iti = Om, salutations to Him!
Vanamaali gadi shaarangee shankhee
chakree cha nandakee [The 1000 names end here...]
Shreemaan naaraayano vishnurvaasudevoabhirakshatu
Shree vaasudevoabhirakshatu om namah iti
Vanamaali gadi shaarangee shankhee
chakree cha nandakee
[The 1000 names end here...]
[Home] [Back to the Prayer Book page] [Back to Sri Vishnu Sahasranam page]